Notices

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Well... I whipped up something. It's not the prettiest UI, and there are probably bugs in it, and there's no package... but it seems to work from my small testing. A small woot checker python script. Auto-updates every 5 seconds if there's a woot-off.

Download: http://truejournals.com/woot-checker.py
Open the terminal and run the following:
Code:
maemo-mini-curl -o woot-checker.py http://truejournals.com/woot-checker.py
chmod +x woot-checker.py
python woot-checker.py
I'll try to fix some things up, and make a real package. All feedback is welcome

[edit]Obligatory screenshot:

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2009-06-23 at 21:25.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Wow. You're somethin' ain't ya?

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
I had actually just asked a friend of mine how hard it would be to make some sort of Woot Watcher with python, since it seems like a pretty popular / easy way to get things done. I'm not much of a programmer or anything of the sort, just web page stuff and that's about it. I guess I feel this 'needs' to be done because I'm such a fan of woot and what not :P

Thanks for your help guys! And I didn't even know that RSS feed for Woot existed :/ I guess I should have done a bit more research :/

one more suggestion:

1. install greasemonkey for MicroB
2. search userscripts.org for a script that does what you want
see link below for examples:
http://www.google.com/m/search?clien...serscripts.org

The Following User Says Thank You to dkwatts For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
One more suggestion... follow them on Twitter with Mauku. That's what I do.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wow TrueJournals thank you! I didn't even see that when I made that post earlier! I just typed the code you gave me and when I typed python woot-checker.py it didn't bring up the UI. Thanks a lot though!

Also a big thank you to all of these other ideas guys, I really appreciate it!

Edit: feature idea - Have a ''I want one!' link / buy method in the script, if possible. Also you could include shirt, sellout, and wine, with appropriate buy links as well :P

Last edited by fatboyxpc; 2009-06-24 at 10:21.

Just a note that I've updated the script. The instructions for downloading and running it are still the same as above. Mostly bug fixes, but also some small new features. You can now specify the timeout between updates, and manually update, if you want. These options are all in the menu. Updates also now happen asynchronously. So, the GUI will show up right away, and updates shouldn't affect the application in any way. I've also added a bunch of comments for anyone looking at the code. Finally, you can now put the application in full screen mode.

There's a small bug where the text of the item name won't wrap if it doesn't fit on the window correctly. I tried fixing this, but my fix didn't work. I'll have to try again sometime.

I plan to implement a "Buy" link, that will open the browser so you can make your purchase. I'll see what I can do about adding "shirt", "wine", and "sellout" tabs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Thank you SO MUCH TrueJournals! I completely forgot this thread was up!!! I'll be glad to test this for you I'll go ahead and update now and test it out

Also, I didn't really want the wine.woot but I figure somebody might want it eventually but might not speak up :P

Again, thanks!

Edit: Works like a charm! I am really liking this Great work man, really! Now my only thing to do is make this to where I can open it without having to open a terminal everytime, but I can google that

Last edited by fatboyxpc; 2009-06-28 at 14:13.

If you have personal menu, you can add a shortcut to it in there, and you won't need to have the terminal open. My goal is to eventually create a package for this, but packaging annoys me a lot :P I've been busy this weekend, so haven't been able to work on this at all, but I should be able to get some work done this week. Adding shirt, wine, and sellout actually makes me want to completely redo the code, and create a class for grabbing the data from woot, so I'll probably be working on that this week. Once I've done that, and update the GUI to use the new class, I'll work on a package.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
This is spiffy! Now if this should be made into a home applet that can auto-update whenever it's connected..

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
app, woot