Heya

I've been looking into this phone for the past few days. It is appealing to me as a user, and also as a small-time developer. The community looks fantastic, so I decided to register and ask my question here. I hope I'm hitting the correct forum.

I'm a Flash game developer, and I noticed the Maemo 5 supports Flash Player 9.4, and the N900 uses the strong ARM Cortex A8 processor. This gives me hope to run light Flash games on the device.

My questions is this: would it be possible to run Flash applications through an actual Maemo application?
In other words, instead of running it through a browser webpage, would it be possible to develop an application dedicated to run the specific Flash app offline, regardless of the browser.
In this case, is the keyboard of the n900 gonna be accessible and detectable with my Flash app? or am I restricted for some of the buttons? or am I restricted for touch screen [mouse] only (like some devices )

(I'm well aware that Flash isn't the most efficient way to develop serious games for the N900, given the awesome specs. I'm look at it more as another way to publish my existing free games!)

Thanks!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dragy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I would also like to know this, as it would be nifty to run a standalone flash app be it a game, or otherwise.

Any word on Adobe air?

}:^)~

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Dragy View Post
Heya

I've been looking into this phone for the past few days. It is appealing to me as a user, and also as a small-time developer. The community looks fantastic, so I decided to register and ask my question here. I hope I'm hitting the correct forum.

I'm a Flash game developer, and I noticed the Maemo 5 supports Flash Player 9.4, and the N900 uses the strong ARM Cortex A8 processor. This gives me hope to run light Flash games on the device.

My questions is this: would it be possible to run Flash applications through an actual Maemo application?
In other words, instead of running it through a browser webpage, would it be possible to develop an application dedicated to run the specific Flash app offline, regardless of the browser.
In this case, is the keyboard of the n900 gonna be accessible and detectable with my Flash app? or am I restricted for some of the buttons? or am I restricted for touch screen [mouse] only (like some devices )

(I'm well aware that Flash isn't the most efficient way to develop serious games for the N900, given the awesome specs. I'm look at it more as another way to publish my existing free games!)

Thanks!
Might be hard to do that since Flash is proprietary. I would suggest that instead you use a shortcut that calls Dbus to launch the web browser and point it to your game. The user wouldn't really care... just copy your flv/swf/whatever and the .html page to the tablet. User would just see "Kitten Cannon" for instance... and it would just launch the flash game in the browser automatically.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been silent about this, since a standalone *.swf would be a way to do this, but not AIR and I don't think a standalone projector file - even if you were to use Northcode SWF Studio (windows only) or Flash Jugglor or even my fave right now, Adobe Flex - would even deploy or work in that environment.

The Adobe Open Screen Project is forthcoming - next month actually - so I'm waiting to see how that all plays out about how games, apps and what not will play out. Due to the screen size, I've actually deployed websites to FP9 level, have them fill the screen 100% and go with that as a way to deploy. But as far as local system, I'm having to sit and wait and see what's allowable and what would actually work.

So... I'm actually curious too. Especially since it's the full flash player and I can use AS3. The limitations I've heard around the microphone and video camera though are a bit alarming imho. Would love to be able to use those too.

Thanks for the quick replies!
As much as I'd love my swf to be covered as an app (... in order to get the same respect as a developer, pretty much), I guess if I have no choice the idea Zerojay suggested with the browser is pretty sleek.
Do you think we'll have a the 'full screen' mode feature in the browser through the Flash, like the one present on YouTube and other Flash apps? some devices disable this, what about the n900?

gerbick, I'd like to read more about the limitation you've heard of (microphone, camera), can you please attach a link?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yes, YouTube supports fullscreen on the N900 as can be seen in one of the review videos.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
As i have been developing Flash applications for my n(00 since i
bought it, let me suggest you what i have learned through the last
months:

As referenc i state my fullscreen widgets project
at http://www.mojocafe.net

Though the device is able to handel Flash 9.x you should think
about the downgrading option of your games so that they would
also play on other devices.
Nowadays there are nearly a dozen of devices offering the
800x480 screen resolution, so it would be awesome to be
able to play your projects also on these devices (e.g. Archos).

Two weeks ago i relaunched the Mojocafe and downgraded the
widgets to Flash Lite 2.1 to be able to offer the project also to
mobile devices that do not have that much horsepower.

my advice in short: if you plan to develop your stage at 800x480
do so that your games will also be playable on other devices
with the same screen size.

The Following User Says Thank You to endorphinum For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
Thought I'd mention that at the moment camera support is disabled (and will remain so in Flash v10.1 as far as I know).

Please vote on http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...flash_plug-in/ (and/or the linked bug report) to have this turned back on.

Hi all,
i was downloading adobe flash player on my nokia N900,but i don't know which version that i have to download..

Hope to here soon..

Thanks..

Originally Posted by tarek757 View Post
Hi all,
i was downloading adobe flash player on my nokia N900,but i don't know which version that i have to download..

Hope to here soon..

Thanks..
no need to download its already preinstalled, what you would want is the support for the flash player 10.1