Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
But what are we talking about here? If I refer back to your earlier posting I am unsure: 1) the not rebooting on demand issue that you mention and I thought badazimer meant; or 2) the symptoms he later clarified, namely it sometimes shuts down as meant to but it sometimes reboots instead? Do you mean 1) or 2) or both?
Sorry I do not know about the issue accurately now because I am not using my N900 anymore. But I think that it sometimes rebooted or that you had to unplug your cable while the N900 stucks at the 'Nokia' logo to boot it up or something like that.

I also didn't remove kernel power due to the features and had to accept this issue. It was just annoying that you were not able to reboot your device anymore.

Also check this thread where I noticed this issue (KP v48):
here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...07#post1088907) I mentioned the problem and the discussion started here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1120716).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Ukraine
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Sorry I do not know about the issue accurately now because I am not using my N900 anymore. But I think that it sometimes rebooted or that you had to unplug your cable while the N900 stucks at the 'Nokia' logo to boot it up or something like that.

I also didn't remove kernel power due to the features and had to accept this issue. It was just annoying that you were not able to reboot your device anymore.

Also check this thread where I noticed this issue (KP v48):
here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...07#post1088907) I mentioned the problem and the discussion started here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1120716).
I cant descry this problem with cable. My problem does not depend on it.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
The "USB cable" issue was fixed long ago, it is something else. I'll appreciate if some of you who is suffering from that issue find what the culprit is.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
The "USB cable" issue was fixed long ago, it is something else. I'll appreciate if some of you who is suffering from that issue find what the culprit is.
if I can! I have have a problem but i dont know what is culprit.
I try to describe it:
  • often it happens alternatively. Shutdown-Reboot-Shutdown-Reboot-Shutdown-Reboot...
  • Sometimes when device reboot I’ll see nokia logo, after that black screen(dark blue) and points of starting OS doesnt appear, Device doesnt load & I must push button for long time to shutdown. After turn on device I see the popup like this "unexpected reboot. Your kernel-power setting is not loaded".
I will described only operation with power button & shutdown in popup. I’ll not uses commands in x-term & reboot options

Originally Posted by badazimer View Post
if I can! I have have a problem but i dont know what is culprit.
I try to describe it:
  • often it happens alternatively. Shutdown-Reboot-Shutdown-Reboot-Shutdown-Reboot...
  • Sometimes when device reboot I’ll see nokia logo, after that black screen(dark blue) and points of starting OS doesnt appear, Device doesnt load & I must push button for long time to shutdown. After turn on device I see the popup like this "unexpected reboot. Your kernel-power setting is not loaded".
I will described only operation with power button & shutdown in popup. I’ll not uses commands in x-term & reboot options
Maybe one of the reason was that I use Optimize N900 Scripts:
  • Clean-900
  • Freerootfs, frees rootfs
  • Superswap
?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by badazimer View Post
Maybe one of the reason was that I use Optimize N900 Scripts:
  • Clean-900
  • Freerootfs, frees rootfs
  • Superswap
?
ooh, my friend, smack, smack, smack! :-) As you will read in that thread and indeed if you read about patches made by others, the tech savvy dev types around here tend not to like them. The wiki provides the best optimisation tricks that meet general standards of approval.

It is your device of course. But a full disclusure of what you have installed at the beginning is always welcome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
ooh, my friend, smack, smack, smack! :-) As you will read in that thread and indeed if you read about patches made by others, the tech savvy dev types around here tend not to like them. The wiki provides the best optimisation tricks that meet general standards of approval.

It is your device of course. But a full disclusure of what you have installed at the beginning is always welcome.
I second that. The only really useful thing is swappolube, which allows you to tweak swappiness, page-cluster and nr_requests. All other "miracle" patches do more harm than good, if they do any good.

I am not saying the reason for having this reboot/shutdown issue is some of those, but the probability is high.

However, to try to provide some info on WTF is going on, you may want to install syslogd and sp-rich-core(google for howto) as your "reboot instead of shutdown" might be caused by a kernel oops and those tools will help identifying that. In the meanwhile you may want to upload your /dev/mtd2 partition.

BTW if you overclock, I'd advise you to disable OC for a while, to see if that would cure the problem. And by "disable" i mean to uninstall all OC apps, widgets, whatever and to remove /etc/default/kernel-power

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
i second that. The only really useful thing is swappolube, which allows you to tweak swappiness, page-cluster and nr_requests. All other "miracle" patches do more harm than good, if they do any good.

I am not saying the reason for having this reboot/shutdown issue is some of those, but the probability is high.

However, to try to provide some info on wtf is going on, you may want to install syslogd and sp-rich-core(google for howto) as your "reboot instead of shutdown" might be caused by a kernel oops and those tools will help identifying that. In the meanwhile you may want to upload your /dev/mtd2 partition.

Btw if you overclock, i'd advise you to disable oc for a while, to see if that would cure the problem. And by "disable" i mean to uninstall all oc apps, widgets, whatever and to remove /etc/default/kernel-power
I repent, may be this a reason. When I will have a lot of time(maybe next weekend) I reinstall OS, KP & CSSU - maybe it is the decision

The Following User Says Thank You to badazimer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
The shutdown-instead-of-reboot issue completely disappeared for me with KP51rc1. That's also why i haven't updated to 52 yet as that issue was very annoying for me.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
The shutdown-instead-of-reboot issue completely disappeared for me with KP51rc1. That's also why i haven't updated to 52 yet as that issue was very annoying for me.
Verily; but we have here a slightly different case (amongst others): "the shutdown that reboots". Most of us had the "reboot that shutsdown" that you mention.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
kernel-power, kernel-power52, power key, rebooting, shutdown