Hi Guys,

I hope I am not overlaping an existing thread!!!

I have a N900 updated to SSU 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo4
I live and work in the outskirts of London UK and use Vodafone UK.

Recently decided to experiment on saving battery, by switching to GSM while in the office ( using the WiFi ) and moving back to 3G while I am out and about.

This brought me to the following casus:

While in the office, where the reception shouldn't be great the N900 3G reception is almost perfect - I mean full 5 bars!!
In the meantime, at the very same spot, when switching to 2G, the reception of N900 rarely gets 1-2 bars as most of the time the phone doesn't get any reception!!!

I found this weird - googled a bit, but as I couldn't find much, decided to post here in case anyone else has experienced the same.

In my understanding - 3G should be harder to get and maintained, especially indoors, while 2G should be pretty much available almost everywhere ( ALMOST ).
However - the dilema is - why would the 3G be in times better than the 2G reception !?!?! Could the UMTS be stronger than GSM ??!?!

I tested with my old N95 mobile, which made no difference whether it is 2G or 3G - the reception was almost excellent, so the only possible conclusion was - it is the N900 - there is something about 2G that it doesn't like.

Please, share your experience!

Last edited by killian; 2012-07-03 at 13:26.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I got the same "problem". I can find service much faster when I switch to 3g than GSM. If there was a way to fix this it would be great, even though most of the time it's ok.