Notices

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
well i am a noob,i have some questions to ask about chrome :
can i install chrome without installing chroot?
Nope, but you can remove it after installing. What is the problem with chroot BTW?

do we have this in any repository ?
It has its own repository:
Code:
deb http://maemo.jacekowski.org/ fremantle free non-free
It also needs
Code:
apt-get install libxss1
from extras-devel (as root).

is it even faster than micro b ?
thx in adv for replies ))
Not relay, no. Also it is not finger-friendly. But it is a full blown desktop browser on your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
Is the Chromium browser still being updated because I haven't updated for over a year and now I'm trying to play Angry Birds in my Chromium but my browser needs an update.

Also, the game is slow on microB and it gets stuck while loading the first stage:

// Roth

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
Is the Chromium browser still being updated because I haven't updated for over a year and now I'm trying to play Angry Birds in my Chromium but my browser needs an update.

Also, the game is slow on microB and it gets stuck while loading the first stage:

// Roth
No, chromium hasn't been updated for ages. Now, if only Rovio had made a version of Angry Birds for the N900, then it would be optimized to run well on the N900, they could even put it in the Ovi Store.

Seriously, why are you trying to play the Chrome version of Angry Birds in a browser on your N900? It is barely playable on my netbook, there is no way it would be playable on the N900 even with an up-to-date version of Chromium. Now just head on over to the Ovi Store and download the proper version for the N900 if you want to play Angry Birds.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
im sick of the slow browsers we have on maemo firefox is slow but has the sync for addons the std 1 is a bit faster
y cant we have 1 thats as fast as safari on ipods/ iphones etc it takes so long 2 load pages on the n900 compared to an iphone

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Iphone's browser is far from "full browsing". In Microb you can at least have a lot of flash sites slowly load, but load at least.
Im Microb you can even use Facebook chat and apps, watch YouTube videos (most of them) and basically anything you could do in a desktop computer with Flash 9 and without Java plugin...

AND, you can use a Stylus for non mobile-optimized pages, without having to zoom before, and with the virtual cursor you can highlight/hover and select/copy/paste really nicely.

You can have more "mobile-like" experience with Opera, and is still really nice and "almost" full browsing (I guess similar to an Android)... It also has a less useful version of a "virtual cursor".

If you want a "light" experience, you can try Macuco, it loads the Iphone-optimized pages by default and so it is slightly faster.

If you just want to check your gmail account, you can use MobWebMail (instead of Modest), its like a stripped-down and completely specific version of Macuco.

I think web browsing is much better than in Iphone, having used both of them...
And most important part is WE HAVE CHOICES! And they are all free and even many of them, open source.

I would also like to see news about Chromium for Maemo... I tried to compile a newer version once, but its Heavy.... And requires A LOT of things I was unable to gather. I have null knowledge of porting so... :S
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I managed to get Chromium 14.0.813 working on maemo5 by using chromium buildbots arm snapshots and fiddling with few libraries. Unfortunately it is the "Chromium OS" version which means many things are buggy.

flash works after enabling it and browser it is much faster than microB.

in case someone is interested, compiled ARM binaries can be downloaded from:
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Arm/
Attached Images

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Lemonadium For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lemonadium View Post
I managed to get Chromium 14.0.813 working on maemo5 by using chromium buildbots arm snapshots and fiddling with few libraries. Unfortunately it is the "Chromium OS" version which means many things are buggy.

Do you mind share us the .deb files ?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Lemonadium View Post

i would like to give this a go i got the latest build, linked most of the libraries from /usr/lib/microb-engine/.
But i ran into the "CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3 Not Found" im not sure where to go from here as far as i can tell libstdc++ and glibc are up to date,
which build of chrome did you test?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
No, chromium hasn't been updated for ages. Now, if only Rovio had made a version of Angry Birds for the N900, then it would be optimized to run well on the N900, they could even put it in the Ovi Store.

Seriously, why are you trying to play the Chrome version of Angry Birds in a browser on your N900? It is barely playable on my netbook, there is no way it would be playable on the N900 even with an up-to-date version of Chromium. Now just head on over to the Ovi Store and download the proper version for the N900 if you want to play Angry Birds.
I'm skeptical of an update of Chromium because the first Firefox was able to handle quite well the *real* flash 10.1.120 and Java 6, but the newer versions lost this feature, making Chromium the best browser now for embedded content - as in Flash 10 and Java 6 work flawlessly on it (except for bank sites).
I fear a new Chromium would lose this 2 wonderful qualities.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by -L- View Post
i would like to give this a go i got the latest build, linked most of the libraries from /usr/lib/microb-engine/.
But i ran into the "CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3 Not Found" im not sure where to go from here as far as i can tell libstdc++ and glibc are up to date,
which build of chrome did you test?
Same here. Would be nice to know what else you did and which version are you using. Thanks!
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Tags
alternative browser, alternative web browser, browser, browser war, browserd fix, chrome, chromium, fremantle, google, inferior compared to ff, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser alternative, maemo browser war, microb alternative, microb killer, web browser