Notices

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Curse of War

Curse of War is a fast-paced action strategy game for Linux originally implemented using ncurses user interface. An SDL graphical version is also available (since version 1.2.0).

Unlike most RTS, you are not controlling units, but focus on high-level strategic planning: Building infrastructure, securing resources, and moving your armies.

upstream website: http://a-nikolaev.github.io/curseofwar/

Uploaded to extras-dev. Currently installs main game binaries into /opt/curseofwar/ and resource files into ~/.curseofwar. All resource files will be installed under /opt on next release. Both curses and SDL binaries included, but desktop icon only launches SDL version as curses text version is problematic on n900 screen.

Maximum width and height of rectangular (default) playfield is 22 x 22. Default is 21x21 which is what you get when launching from the application menu icon.

Network play is possible by starting a server with curseofwar from cli, but currently untested. If anyone tests this successfully, please let us know.

Instructions from the website:

Rules

1.Cities (W#W, i=i, and n) increase your country's population
2.Gold mines (/$\) give you gold, which is used to build new cities.
3.Put flags on the map to move your army. Press space to add and remove flags.
4.You play as a ruler of the green country.
5.Computer opponents have different personalities and different approach to control their armies
6.Game conditions can be adjusted with command line arguments, see $ curseofwar -h

Controls

Arrow keys and [H], [J], [K], [L] are for moving the cursor
[R] or [V] to build village -> town -> castle
[Space] to add/remove a flag
[X] to remove all your flags
[C] to remove a half of your flags
[Q] quit the game

For more gameplay info:
http://a-nikolaev.github.io/curseofwar/howtoplay/

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2014-06-15 at 03:50. Reason: fixed various mistakes in first post

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Reserved second post

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
Currently installs main game binaries into /opt/curseofwar/ and resource files into ~/.curseofwar. All resource files will be installed under /opt on next release.
Err, that means it's already as much in /opt as it's going to get. both /opt and /home are mounted outside of the rootfs and on the main mmc/flash chip. So ~/.curseofwar is already "optified" (unless ~ here stands for root user's home, aka /root, but I presume you mean /home/user )

So if you wish to move it for optification/not-clobbering-root-fs purposes, I recomment leaving it alone where it is, since it's already not on the rootfs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Err, that means it's already as much in /opt as it's going to get. both /opt and /home are mounted outside of the rootfs and on the main mmc/flash chip. So ~/.curseofwar is already "optified" (unless ~ here stands for root user's home, aka /root, but I presume you mean /home/user )

So if you wish to move it for optification/not-clobbering-root-fs purposes, I recomment leaving it alone where it is, since it's already not on the rootfs.
But IMO static resoursces should be on /opt/ not in the /home/user directory.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
But IMO static resoursces should be on /opt/ not in the /home/user directory.
*Nod* Probably. I don't know the typical linux file placement conventions enough to really judge the merits of that, just that generally user home dirs hold user-specific configs, so what you say makes absolute sense.

But at the same time, Maemo 5 is undeniably a single-user system, to a fault (even the segregation between 'root' and 'user' is awful unless you've manually configured at least the password barrier to always be there (as I have on mine)). So there is less gained by holding to convention than in more typical Linux packaging.

That said, I agree with you. I was merely making sure it was understood that if the only concern was optification, that was already achieved.

I'd say it should probably be moved into /opt/maemo/[wherever] as per Maemo 5's packaging guidelines, and then symlinked from /[wherever]. (Where "[wherever]" is the path where it would go following Debian's packaging guidelines, which Maemo 5's explicitly use as a base.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:

Tags
curseofwar