Poll: Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?
Poll Options
Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Meltemi may be just a Microsoft's (remember Elop) plan to fragmentate Linux ecosystem even more than it already is.
http://www.software-latest.com/2011/...t-anymore.html
...no wonder, killing Meego by affecting Nokia was an ingenious move for MS.
I don't see what this has to do with Meltemi. Meltemi is for low end phones, not full blown PCs or tablets. Meltemi may be dead boring for all I know. It certainly will have a very stripped down kernel, if it has a Linux kernel at all. It is probably more like Bada, only with Qt, and equally kernel agnostic. A modernized S40 kernel with Qt is as probable as Linux kernel with Qt. As Symbian is still alive, it may even be Symbian, but not very likely. I really don't know. I think Nokia right now is walking a path with least short term trouble and least short term investments rather than one that is the "best".

When it comes I gotta have it to play with, and then I find out if it is cool or not

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Meltemi may be dead boring for all I know. It certainly will have a very stripped down kernel, if it has a Linux kernel at all. It is probably more like Bada, only with Qt, and equally kernel agnostic. A modernized S40 kernel with Qt is as probable as Linux kernel with Qt.
No, Meltemi is confirmed to have Linux kernel + Qt + WebKit + Swipe.

This combination doesn't seem to be boring...

Obviously, there are many questions : will Meltemi have X Windows or Wayland, glibc, Python/PySide, etc ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm not doing a very good job of staying away from this forum, sigh.
If this is any guide then Wayland may be on the cards...
Search for "linux-arm7-gcc-wayland"
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_5.0
But yes it was hinted long ago that Meltemi = SwipeUX + Linux kernel* + Qt5 + Webkit.
See last entry in QGil's BLOG & numerous other stories/sources since/before(?) then.

*some rumors have gone further, suggesting it's stripped-down/modified Maemo 6x.
But I can't recall if they originated form legit sources or not.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-17 at 19:24. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
No, Meltemi is confirmed to have Linux kernel + Qt + WebKit + Swipe.

This combination doesn't seem to be boring...

Obviously, there are many questions : will Meltemi have X Windows or Wayland, glibc, Python/PySide, etc ?
Where can this confirmation be found? Sounds nice, but without some hard facts it is only whishful thinking.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Tizen will be as successful as MeeGo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by toki View Post
id buy anything meego xD especially if it comes from nokia

nokia needs to know that they need to support this awesome os!!!!!

but! id rather have a hkb... and im pretty sure they could implement the 41mpx camera tooo
i dont care about bulkiness
There's no use trying to convince them of anything anymore, they've set their sites on a big white whale and even if it kills them, they're going to hunt it on the Microsoft ship and the crazy captain DOES look like he's willing to sacrifice the lives of everyone just to chase this insane whale down. And man, that blubbery OS is one lousy whale.

[patpatpat] It's cute--but Nokia doesn't love you anymore, kid.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That is good enough for me. But I think you are wrong. (If tizen reaching the customers.)

Firstly, samsung isn't nokia, they rule the mobile world with innovative products. They don't need an instant success. The can build the OS för years while you and others running around here complaining about just about everything.

Secondly, samsung knows what the public wants. The users wants to see flashy gui like the demo samsung released. The will keep them coming and that is the why to make it. People won't know what tizen is, until they sees a cool gui demo.

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-03-18 at 08:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
or even less if possible

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
That is good enough for me. But I think you are wrong. (If tizen reaching the customers.)

Firstly, samsung isn't nokia, they rule the mobile world with innovative products. They don't need an instant success. The can build the OS för years while you and others running around here complaining about just about everything.

Secondly, samsung knows what the public wants. The users wants to see flashy gui like the demo samsung released. The will keep them coming and that is the why to make it. People won't know what tizen is, until they sees a cool gui demo.
im sorry but innovative? putting an quad core and a strong gpu in your mobile phone that runs someone elses crappy OS is not innovative in any way...
nokia was and is still a leader in number of innovations brought to smartphone market(if you ignore nokias WP part that is in no way innovative and is a step back) and is still highly competitive(with symbian based 808 for instance, not WP nokias)

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia innovated alright. ...They innovated the lowest-quality world-class customer service and innovated ignoring the customers as an art until they innovated themselves into a mess and then innovated a way to have Microsoft send over one of its flying monkeys to take over.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, free oss, goodbyenokia, idiot thread, idiotibrakalifa, schizophrenia, tizen doa, tizen lives, tizen schmizen, troll fest!