Notices

I wonder why don't Adobe care about linux software?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Market share.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
Was just wondering why does the N900 struggle to stream videos smoothly? I enable the cache to automatic and it stills struggle to stream youtube videos smoothly. Was wondering who else have this issue? Is this a common issue, do you guys think that its a software issue?
Correction, the n900 will stream video (through the built in media player, mplayer or pretty much anything *but* Flash) just fine.

It is Adobe Flash that will not render video, because it's bloated and un-optimized. Adobe/Macromedia has put a lot of time polishing this turd for Windows/X86 machines, but it tends to suck even worse on other platforms (desktop mac and linux included).

The n900 is just the latest in a long line of machines that can stream video fine, but choke playing a video through the bloated Adobe Flash plugin.

As others have noted on this thread, the Adobe Flash Plugin, being proprietary, is not fixable by the community in anyway.

All you can do is hope that the powers that be at Adobe see fit to grace our platform with performance optimizations (like the promised hardware acceleration coming in 10). Consider yourself 'lucky' that the Flash plugin is available at all.

Now all that said, the flash plugin on the n900 is one of the best implementations of flash I've seen on a non-windows platform. But as you may be able to tell from the tone of this post, that doesn't say a whole lot.

Was just wondering why does the N900 struggle to stream videos smoothly? I enable the cache to automatic and it stills struggle to stream youtube videos smoothly. Was wondering who else have this issue? Is this a common issue, do you guys think that its a software issue?

edited - the streaming on youtube is better than facebook, more smoother. But sometimes some video sites, the N900 just struggles to stream it smoothly.
I find that if you set the cache to 40MB provides better results vs. automatic. At least in my experience it is. Give it a try.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I wonder why don't Adobe care about linux software?
But don't forget that Nokia is Adobe's partner.. so in this case it would get a better support imo..

Also don't forget Android is also a linux based platform so the incentive to get a linux version for mobile platforms is higher now than it has ever been.

And yes agree it is bloated.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Also don't forget Android is also a linux based platform so the incentive to get a linux version for mobile platforms is higher now than it has ever been.

And yes agree it is bloated.
Android runs a linux kernel, but not much else of a traditional linux stack unlike Maemo.

The library and software stack underneath are quite different though. You could use the same reasoning to describe the development effort to get flash running on a TiVo, Sony eReader, or Logitech Duet Remote. All of these devices run a linux kernel, but not much of the rest of the stack of libraries.

And I certainly hope that something as buggy as flash doesn't go anywhere near touching the kernel directly :P

The similarities between a android and maemo version of Flash would be much more due to shared processor architecture than anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Another way of streaming would be directly via the mediaplayer or even MPlayer.

This would ensure 100% smooth playback.

Vote here for the solution: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...er_application