Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Has any one thought about porting a lightweight Astronomy app to the n900? Perhaps one that could use the GPS to define lat and long and allow the viewing of the night sky (perhaps a truncated library of stars and their data), constellations, star/planet information, etc. There are plenty of nice ones which are open source, but I lack the knowledge to to the port myself...

Regards,

Thor

Last edited by thorbo; 2009-11-30 at 23:28. Reason: 1) title clarification... 2) being stupid.....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think you mean Astronomy

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, I don't know if it's in the stars for there to be an astrology app at the moment. Are you sure you should have asked? What did your horiscope say?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
**chalks 'Astrology App' up as his next Ovi project...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Humour aside, I think you should ask after "mephemeris" ... Can we get that ported to Maemo 5?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
OK, ok... me dumb... typing faster than I was thinking. Verily, I wanted to look at the sky, not at the tabloids/papers. And qole, that is a good find. I guess I never saw that before for my N800. At least you knew what I meant. Thanks all. I think mephemeris would be a good port.

Ok, now I updated the title on the thread, but talk.maemo is not updating it correctly, now I look even stupider... Well, if the shoe fits. Perhaps this is payback for being wrong in the first place.

Last edited by thorbo; 2009-11-30 at 23:30. Reason: Argh...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Thread title adjusted, though I've kept the initial typo around so the existing posts in the thread make sense.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It would be supercool if we could get Stellarium to work with OpenGL ES...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Over at the pandora crowd some folks are also planning to get Stellarium working. It would be a great application for both devices.

There are some interface problems with this application though. You invoke selection menues by hovering the mouse over the bottom or side of the window, which makes the menues/buttons become visible. This wouldn't be particularly useful with a device like the N900, so another method would be needed to get easy access to selection buttons (constellation lines on/off, names, nebulas on/off etc. See http://www.stellarium.org/screenshots.html and select images, some of them show the stuff I'm talking about).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Humour aside, I think you should ask after "mephemeris" ... Can we get that ported to Maemo 5?
Sorry for the delay in making a comment on this, guys, but ever since the N900 showed up, the number of 'new' messages in the talk forum has exploded to the point that I can no longer keep up!

I am almost afraid to ask what success anyone may have had in running any of my old Diablo astrononomy apps/applets on the N900 (which I do NOT have, probably will not have for a long time, or maybe even not at all)?

I recall reading comments about the switch away from GTK (?), which would be tragic for any efforts that I might want to put in. Otherwise, I am not sure of the effort required to 'port' to Maemo 5 -- though I would suspect that it would be extremely frustrating and unrewarding to do so without having an N900 myself to enjoy it with

For a long time now I have been wanting to release a new version of MEphemeris, but I am waiting for bug fixes in the library routines. I wonder how many are even interested anymore -- have all of you switched over the the N900? Are there any N8xx Diablo people left?