Notices

Looks good but does this have voice/speech enabled?

I am surprised OVI maps doesnt have this and yet they are trying to push it out.

I would love to see TomTom release a version for maemo/meego would be good.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Ideally everything should be
- owned by root
- not writeable by any user other than root (except for config files/user generated files etc)
Good idea! I made everything owned by root but readable be everyone, only the folders/files for configs/cache etc. are set as writable for other (which is the user running modRana in this case).
I also added a command to generate all the *.pyc files, which would not be crated automatically because the code folders are read only.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
One thing that modRana desperately needs is an option to keep the screen on!
OK, I'll look whats needed for this. This should be easy to do, just some d-bus command or something like that.

Originally Posted by badboyuk View Post
Looks good but does this have voice/speech enabled?
Well, not yet. But its in the pipeline for the turn-by-turn navigation functionality (most probably using espeak).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
am i the only one with this problem: i installed modrana but it doesn't show up in my list of apps. i have to drop to xterm and root to run it.

Originally Posted by droll View Post
am i the only one with this problem: i installed modrana but it doesn't show up in my list of apps. i have to drop to xterm and root to run it.
How did you install it? The Extras-devel package is finally usable since 12-6. If you installed a previous build (12-2 - 12-5), there can be problems (notably a missing modrana.desktop file ).

Also If you installed from the linked deb package, I recommend upgrading to the Extras-devel version.

ModRana is finally available in Extras-devel !

The package is called modrana and can be found in the Location&navigation section.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
that explains it. i was on 12-5. installing 12-6 now.

hmmmmmmm..........well modrana.desktop appears but when i launch it, nothing happens. the app quits immediately after about 8 seconds or so of loading.

running it from xterm + root privileges works though.

btw, is this supposed to work with the built-in GPS because i can't get a fix on my location. it keeps defaulting to some place in europe..

Last edited by droll; 2010-07-27 at 18:26.

just installed from -devel and can confirm above. when started from the app mgr it just dissapears. start as user from xterm gives:

~ $ modrana
/usr/bin/modrana: cd: line 2: can't cd to /opt/modrana/
python2.5: can't open file 'modrana.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
~ $

running from xterm as root works fine. app itself looks very good at first glance though, will give it a good try soon, but routing, UI and options all look like it should be the best mapping app for maemo once you get around to adding eSpeak support. Thanks for a great start!

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
this may be wierd, but after

root
apt-get install modrana

it installed cloudgps

the icon was cloudgps and it launched the program cloudgps.

so i tried

apt-get install modrana

and it said it was already installed.

so i then

apt-get install cloudgps

and it said already installed

then

apt-get remove cloudgps

and it uninstalled the cloudgps

i looked for the modrana icon and nothing.

then, apt-get remove modrana

said it wasnt installed.

then i went to the dev repo and dl vs 6 there. transfered to my device and installed it.

dpkg -i "filename"

it said that it was going to replace the vs. 5!!! yet it said it wasnt installed. lol. confusing.

so after installation, it showed the icon, but crashed upon opening. i uninstalled it and then went directly to the deb file in my folder and opened it to install. after installation, it crashed upon opening.

after trying to open it 6 times with crashes, i have typed this feed for you.

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps