Hi,

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this, but is there any possible option/hack/widget etc., to get a shortcut/icon on the home screen or lock screen?

Although it's not that much of a pain to swipe up, and then select your desired phone app (for instance), my concern is that if someone else needed to use my phone in an emergency, they wouldn't be able to figure out how to make a call. Even if they managed to figure out how to get to the phone app, they probably still wouldn't be able to figure out how to make a call, as until you know, the slow slide down to access 'Enter phone number' isn't obvious.

It would be great to have a shortcut to something like 'FastDial' on the home screen/lock screen, as there doesn't seem to be any 'emergency call' option like you get in other OS's.

Thanks

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moodroid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I always considered many design choices in Sailfish a victory of form over function. Your case is just one of many.

There are precious few things that can help you to get around the "stranger uses the phone in an emergency" situation:
  • If you set up a lock code, you get an emergency call button. I have (luckily) never had a chance to use it but I assume it calls the default emergency number without having to unlock the phone.
  • There is a patch to open the keypad by default when you start the Phone application.
  • Err, that's about it
None of them are as desirable as placing a contact directly on the home screen, but I am afraid it is the best you can work with. Heck, Sailfish does not even have a concept of the desktop (even though it insists on recreating the Desktop folder in /home on every restart) or placing a contact in the launcher, so what can you expect ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
I have new patch for emergency call to trusted person without device-unlocking, it works as emergency call. But no ETA, I haven't enough time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
You can also choose three* shortcuts to place in the pulley menu of the Lock Screen.

*expandable to eight with Ancelad's patch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
check out quickbar app from harbour. gives quick access to mru.fav/ mfu frkm lockscreen.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Ancelad View Post
I have new patch for emergency call to trusted person without device-unlocking, it works as emergency call. But no ETA, I haven't enough time.
what patch? iirc emergency numbers just stored inside dconf and you can simply edit it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
what patch? iirc emergency numbers just stored inside dconf and you can simply edit it.
I know, this is renewed devicelock faith-text patch.

Last edited by Ancelad; 2017-03-09 at 14:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I've found out that I can get rid of apps from the launcher by re/moving the .desktop file, but is there any way to control the order of the the apps in the launcher?

Also, just wondered whether there were any qml files associated with the launcher that might allow us to customize it in any way?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to moodroid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by moodroid View Post
I've found out that I can get rid of apps from the launcher by re/moving the .desktop file, but is there any way to control the order of the the apps in the launcher?
Yes, try press-and-hold anywhere on the launcher. Then you can drag and drop or uninstall apps. When you drag icons on top of each other, you create a folder.
Also, just wondered whether there were any qml files associated with the launcher that might allow us to customize it in any way?
You might want to check out patchmanager in general and coderus' launcher combined patch (there are many patches for the launcher, this just happens to be my favourite) for your use case for information on how/what to change. Both Patchmanager2 and this Patch are available on openrepos/warehouse. When you look at the patch on github, you can see it changes stuff in /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/launcher/Launcher.qml (among other places)
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
is there any way to control the order of the the apps in the launcher?
According to https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish...eet#Homescreen the order of the apps is saved in

Code:
/home/nemo/.config/lipstick/applications.menu

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:

Tags
home screen, icons, lock screen, shortcut, widget