Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Someone made video recording sample.
http://youtu.be/HhzCWzUa0ZE

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Does anyone have news if (preferably) Sports Tracker or any similar Android application work on Jolla? Hoping for Bluetooth support to Android applications.
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I too want to try this with Strava, just not had the time to investigate how to get the apk yet. Still playing with the native phone features.
There's already MeeRun which I think is getting a Sailfish version. The thread is here, that's something which can be asked.

Sports Tracker had a MeeGo version, would be good to ask - since they are also former Nokia/Maemo folks, if they are looking at SailfishOS for a direction for their software. Probably not now with just about 500 users, but something to look for when/if another OEM decides to run with Sailfish.

I would imagine that part of the "features that didn't make it this version" is that of connectivity to activity/fitness trackers and their associated services. Of note on my end, I wonder if Jolla has spoken to their Finnish partners at Polar? And even if not, there's Rocke****ch which already supports the Pebble (and via my asking in that thread, could actually support several other wearables).

Speaking back to that this is a UX, not a "wish Jolla had this" thread - there has been very little commentary towards the Jolla working with various Bluetooth accessories. I wonder if this was intentional towards this phase of the project? There are a lot of items which any one of us can state are necessary towards a mobile in its first release. Accessory compatibility, and even a sense of greater ease in connecting to them, seems like something Jolla has room to give insight towards their thinking on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Techcrunch just posted a huge article about jolla mentioning hwkb-oh:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/30/jolla-first-phone/

“Putting something like a keyboard is expected,” said Jolla co-founder Marc Dillon. “We are working on the developers kit so that anybody can do this… We're working on accessories, and we expect third parties to work on accessories.”
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Android apps are not aware of multitasking and don't behave well in this situation, so if you don't force-pause them, they will happily eat away your battery, thinking they are still in focus by the user. AlienDalvik takes care of this by emulating Android's application lifecycle.
It would be nice if you could force-disable it for some apps though...

Also I'm curious, if you open a browser via terminal, does it open a new instance? That would solve the browser-tab-reloading issue.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Thanks for that.

It strikes me that nobody is raving about getting XMPP video call to work (a feature that came with the N900 as if it was natural),

XMPP (Android app of choice): is the hardware accessible: camera, microphone: do calls work?

SIP calls (Android app of choice): is the hardware address correctly how good is the call quality over Wifi and 3G if it must.

Ok Android apps may be running laggy according to gizmogadget &co. But a core communication application like SIP can't be that heavy on this hardware even running on a virtual layer.

Am I such a minority outcast to assume that I use my "smart"phone primarily to extend the functionality of the 90's mobile phone and that I use my PC as a gaming platform?

Are we all still loyal bill payers to mobile phone operators? No SIP no XMPP? No Skype video call even?

Anyone of the kind Jolla users / makers out there listening?
Android Skype seems to work quite good (half a second latency) but the sound output is always on speakers. Also the proximity sensor does not work with Skype.

While N900 has working jabber videocall, it is not encrypted and does not work through most firewalls.

Jingle relay node on the XMPP server is required for audio to work properly between internal and external networks, and I assume that every internal network would have to have one of these to support the scenario where anyone could call anyone else, from everywhere.
Unfortunately for example OpenFire's jingle plugin did not work at all when I tested it month ago. (OpenFire is used on the server I'm hosting.)

XMPP audio and video generally is a pain in the bum, as it uses streaming port auto negotiation on specific range of ports, and uses only UDP for the streams. Most of the companies block both inbound and outbound traffic, cutting out all XMPP streams in the process.

Skype goes around this problem by using any open ports it can find. In addition to this I suppose it uses, from the streaming view point, more technically inefficient TCP or TCP wrapper for streaming. Inefficiency is neglible when the network speeds are good these days. Again I suppose Google Talk uses the same method for their video call streaming.

Common XMPP audio+video is still pretty much work in progress IMHO. For instance Windows client of Pidgin does not support it yet, and on computers only Jitsi client supports encrypted videocalls (and is a bit flaky especially in its stable 2.2 line). Of Android clients nightly build of Jitsi seems to be the only XMPP client supporting video calls if you exclude Cisco's proprietary solutions for their own gear.

After saying all this I'm still going to test android version of nightly build of Jitsi (see jitzi.org for details) behind the firewall next Monday. It will be interesting, but I really don't expect it to work, as I can't recall it working on "real" android either.

Of course I'm hoping that Jolla will get Skype and Google Talk video calls working too, but especially with Google I expect them to slowly move to their evil native and proprietary Hangouts implementation. And we are not likely to see that on Jolla (nor on any android fork).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It would be nice if you could force-disable it for some apps though...

Also I'm curious, if you open a browser via terminal, does it open a new instance? That would solve the browser-tab-reloading issue.
When I did the Android Skype test today, I had Skype multitasked away. When I called from computer to phone, Skype jumped to the fullscreen immediately. So there might be some exceptions to the rule...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ocp32 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
When I did the Android Skype test today, I had Skype multitasked away. When I called from computer to phone, Skype jumped to the fullscreen immediately. So there might be some exceptions to the rule...
Normally, Android apps are paused by the system when they're no longer running in foreground. But Android apps can instantiate services, which can run in background. I guess the ACL is actually a quite low-level layer between the Linux/glibc-castrate called Android and the true Linux/glibc on Jolla. But as such, just about everything of Android runs just like on a real Android device.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ocp32 View Post
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/11/29/ho...m-jolla-phone/

I didn't see this posted here...
I confirm this working!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Yes, apps may spawn background processes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience