Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Good for you, but you can't expect normal people to go into dev mode and use the terminal for file management.
Are you suggesting I am not normal?! :-) And no, I haven't got dev mode on, I had to enable it once and then I just copied the terminal somewhere to keep it.
If the N9 (I don't have one) doesn't come with a file manager, how do normal people manage files on it? I mean I'd just file (or feel) deprived of essential control over my device.
"Normal people" actually don't need to manage files with the N9 - the best you can do is connect it as mass storage and manage from there.
Are there good file managers for N9 in existence now? Any ports to Sailfish in the works? Anyone announced a new one for SF?
Pretty much from day 1, yeah, you could get it from the store [for free in most cases]. It just didn't come out of the box. Not sure whether even Nokia made one.
Man I still can't believe it, that's like treating the user worse than Apple does.
I think you may be over reacting - Apple doesn't ship a file manager, nor lets you access the ithingy file system unless you root it. Android doesn't even come with a terminal, and I don't recall playing with vanilla Android phones that have a file manager.

I think you got my message wrong to be honest :-) Jolla probably has a file manager in the making, it's in their video, probably not released yet due to the OS being at a beta stage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Too many bugs, too many issues with SDK and nowhere to report to. This should not be released to public as user product but under Dev-category. (I know they are trying to save it by adding a beta tag)

I'm disappointed. Good luck to you all. I'm waiting at least another year to give sailfish a go as a developer or user. It's way to immature for an unreal price tag.

Chuck
It's not Chuck Norris failing on Sailfish - it's Sailfish failing on Chuck Norris

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
No. Such a thing is a large can of worms (hard to do, hard to do performantly). If you ever experienced smartsearch sucking up your battery on the N9, that's why.
I never had issues with smartsearch (but that might be just luck), nor had I with performance. But I actually fail to see the problem of such search in general. It has been on desktops for years now, and I use it often. And as said, I'm quite content with the capabilities of the N9 in this regard.

Sure, it might be depending on your usage pattern. If you dump lots of crappy .docx files or pdf's on your phone, one can expect issues with tracker.
This doesn't mean it won't ever happen, but it isn't there now.
I know I'm far from the usual user, but I'd rather have global search and indexing than support for yet another advertising company like facebook/twitter/google...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
THnak all for the commenst on video stuff. I will use handbrake to convert in the future. My main concern was video content turning up in the media/music app.

One issue I have had twice now is that my stock ambiences have gone missing. I have the two OH ambiences but the others have gone.

I fixed it first time by a full reset, so they are still there but why are they not showing up anymore? (have reported it too).

I am liking the built in browser now, took some time to get used to it, but so need the landscape mode as my eyes aren't what they once were

Last edited by bockersjv; 2013-12-07 at 20:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I never had issues with smartsearch (but that might be just luck), nor had I with performance. But I actually fail to see the problem of such search in general. It has been on desktops for years now, and I use it often. And as said, I'm quite content with the capabilities of the N9 in this regard.
A mobile is not a desktop! Indexing often eating CPU even on desktop OS so its definitivly a batterydrainer.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-07 at 20:57.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Things have evolved since I last went thru the thread. What can I say, I'm more interested in a mobile that instigates me to live more than I am it to give me a convo. Perhaps I'm evolving to something else.

That said, I'd like to add UX questions to the list I made before. Here we go:

- open the clock; set an alarm; are you asked for the snooze time after you set the alarm; is it easy to create preset alarms which are deactivated until you activate them. Can you set a sleep timer; can the sleep/alarm sound be set to music you've loaded
- create an appointment, in the location field put an address in your city, save the appointment. Go back to view the appointmnet. Can you click on the location and it open the maps. When you close the map view, does it take you back to the calendar, or to the event feed. Does it cache the map view you looked at.
- create an appointment. In the location field, put a phone number. Save the appointment. Go back to the appointment view. Can you click on the phone number and it dial? Can you add pauses and additional numbers (call-in codes) to that number - for conference calls.
- enable location/GPS for pictures; take a picture; save it to your gallery. Is the gallery able to show you pictures by location? Is there a view in the calendar to show you pictures on the day you've taken them w/o showing you anything else on the calendar?
- navigate via the web browser to a page with a downloadable PDF; download and save the PDF. when you zoom in on the PDF, does the text reflow; do images reflow too. Can you click on links. How much a delay to load a large/heavy PDF than a small one. Can you attach that PDF easily to an email - can you share/attach to an email that PDF right from the PDF - not starting first with an email. Can you attach that PDF to a calendar entry. Can you attach it to a contact?
- can you alter the browser configuration (about:config, extensions, etc.); are you able to change the DNS or proxy settings from the browser not just from the settings app.
- can you unmerge contacts you've merged; what's the process of bulk deleting, editing, or merging/unmerging

I'll have more questions as I think about them. But, its clear that I could have had a lot of fun with Jolla as a product tester - there is a minimum viable product state that was met with this release that I think was too low given some of the comments so far. That said, what's been shipped is quite impressive. Its the updates which add polish that should make for a very interesting product going forward - especially as it relates to Jolla being a device/platform designer for other companies going forward.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
A mobile is not a desktop! Indexing often eating CPU even on desktop OS so its definitivly a batterydrainer.
Indexing a file needs to be done only once, and when it changes.

Yeah, after dumping my music collection on the N9, it was busy for a few minutes indexing. And indeed, after syncing all my e-mail to my desktop even its 3.4GHz core i7 had its work cut out for quite some minutes. (on the N9 no such problem, as only the last month or so is synced) That would suck if that sucks the last bit of juice out of the battery. But indexing lots of files can be done when charging, e.g. when high power drain is much less of an issue if any at all.

To me the upsides are well worth the downsides.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
- can you unmerge contacts you've merged; what's the process of bulk deleting, editing, or merging/unmerging
Yes, you can unlink contacts: Select person. From top pulley menu select Link. Tap person/contact to be unlinked.

I don't think there is bulk deleting, editing or link/unlink.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
- can you alter the browser configuration (about:config, extensions, etc.); are you able to change the DNS or proxy settings from the browser not just from the settings app.
There is about: config but the UI doesn't work properly so for now I recommend using Terminal app and text editor to edit /home/nemo/.mozilla/mozembed/prefs.js fiel when browser has been shutdown.

You can install extensions but I'm not sure if they actually work or some work. The about: addons UI for extensions doesn't work properly.

On browser's or general settings there aren't currently possibility of setting DNS or proxy, at least through UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
- open the clock; set an alarm; are you asked for the snooze time after you set the alarm; is it easy to create preset alarms which are deactivated until you activate them. Can you set a sleep timer; can the sleep/alarm sound be set to music you've loaded
When you create a new alarm you are asked:
  • Time: Hour and minutes
  • Alarm name
  • Repeat: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

All alarms you have ever created are shown on the Clock app's main view until you delete them. You can active or deactivate them by simply tapping them.

When an alarm triggers you have two possiblities: dismiss (pull from down) or snooze (pull from up).

You can change the clock alarm tone from the Settings app: System settings: Sounds and feedback. There is "Select from music files" when you try to change tone.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-07 at 22:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience