Active Topics

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post

Jolla uses battery way too much to use it as a daily device. I hope battery usage and Google-calendar sync are high on Jolla's priority list.
Try that N9 battery cal method i think it working on sailfish too.

So, use your battery to empty, connet it to charger and do not power on! when it reach 100% power it up (do not remove the charger), when it's booted to the OS remove charger. I think it last much longer now!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
Jolla uses battery way too much to use it as a daily device. I hope battery usage and Google-calendar sync are high on Jolla's priority list.
What I have found out is that battery consumption (with my usage pattern) is pretty much what I get with my N9; when I hook it up to the charger when I go to sleep there's something like 20%..30% juice left on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What the hell did I just watch? I mean, seriously, this person kept doing the same thing over and over.

If that's a representation of who has this device right now, I'm actually saddened a bit. If anything, the need for a video, in whatever native language is needed that describes what gestures do what, it needs to be made now; post haste.

Wow.
You and I have talked about things like this in other project conversations (yes, I'm not keeping up with this thread, its too long and has too many branches - there needs to be a more spatially designed UI for topics like this, not linear)

That said, if you can get to the rest of the device w/o completing the direct input aspects of the tutorial, then that's a problem. Its a big one actually.

Those of you accounting for having used (in part or still) the N9 are wrong in your perceptions. The simplicity of the muscle memory gestures of the N9 was (in psychologiclal development terms) a few years beyond the 6mo-2yr old gestures espoused by Android and iOS. There's a reason why those platforms didn't push so hard, they took a mental model from that far back and are slowly moving forward. WebOS expected folks - adults - to be more developed in visual muscle memory - approx 4yrs old. And MeeGo/N9 comes in at about 4 or 5yrs old. Of course, I'm speaking of these numbers from my *very small research* of USAmerican mental development.

*what, you don't study that stuff in your spare time too?*

That said, the 2-layered approach of SailfishOS's gestures, edge and mid-screen, requires a different spatial context. One that doesn't develop in some people at all, and in others not until they figure out fractions. It *is* harder to use SailfishOS not just because its unfamiliar, but because its asking your mind to process just a bit more. Its not a platform for beginners in mobile if you will... and that's ok. It just hasn't been given that kind of presentation in tech media, because most folks in tech media don't even know they've been doing mobile like a child since 2007 and loving it.

I've got more to unpack in that video and a few reviews that have been linked, but I'll say this much.. Jolla is like Google when Android came along. Excellent engineers, but there's no Martin Duarte/Christian Lindholm/Jonny Ive kind of characteristic - that sense of teaching you to think/act deeper while making it feel like that's how it should have always been done.

I'm available

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@juiceme
But Jolla has 30% bigger battery and should have (better)newer optimized OS, so we must expect/demand better power consumption and so longer operational times.
At least we must hope for such from the sailors

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prosetheus View Post
Is there no workaround/modification to get around Jolla's 9 open app limit? it seems a limitation caused by the UI more than anything.
Probably not, but there's an elegant solution that hasn't been implemented. Layers.

How that would work:
- open your browser, use whatever function to open a new page, navigate to the running apps view, only see two windows because that's all that running
- open your browser, use whatever function to open a new page, navigate to the running apps view, see 9 windows, but on the one winder where there's a tab, there's a '+" overlay, indicating that there are other windows (bonus points for it being +2 or whatever number of browser windows open). Use SailfishOS gesture on the app-tab to slide throw your browser screens - now you have in the multi-apps view an ability to see multiple open browser windows

not done

- in the browser, pull from left-middle of screen to the bottom drags browser chrome down and you are given a "+ new window" to open a new winder; to navigate between browser windows in the app, use an edge gesture (only the left-middle to bottom - or switch to right side language orientation depending) which allows for navigation between multiple pages/tabs in that same app.

Its not all that complicated if you ask me. It just asks for folks to use the device in the same ways its marketed in order to see things like this.

*back to reading the rest of this thread - long way to go

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
check this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...86#post1391586
i meant a jolla :P

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I raised the fact that 3g and battery needs to be on the lock screen, it can go to the right of the clock. Sent it to Jolla care, it's madness that you can't check battery status on the lock screen without having to scroll.
You might not agree, but no, you don't need them. Its a sign of no confidence in the quality of the hardware you've chosen that you implement a feature - and make it normal - like a battery status indicator.

The mobile OS should be intelligent enough to (a) let you know when its at a point where the battery technology its using needs to be topped off; (b) stop running tasks at low usage times of the day, or learn when you aren't using your device (like when you are sleep and going into an extreme power saving mode); and (c) to let you know in daily, weekly, or monthly summaries in your notification panels that your methods/behaviors of use summaries and recommendations to improve device/service performance.

I've written twice before on antiquated features in modern mobiles (here and here); the crutch that folks have for those features hold back what we can be doing better. If your mobile was so smart, why are you spending so much time learning it... shouldn't it be learning and adapting to you?

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
@ Jolla!

Browser upgrades:
2 finger swipe, usage:

2 finger swipe up -> add tab
2 finger swipe left/right -> previous/next tab
2finger swipe down -> "kill" current page

that would be nice

Last edited by Makeclick; 2013-12-12 at 16:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
@ Jolla!

Browser upgrades:
2 finger swipe, usage:

that would be nice
Nice idea !!

another idea: put a password security in an app. Open Galarie/Video or other, pulldown menu => Set Password.

and please put a call record in the call app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
@ Jolla!

Browser upgrades:
2 finger swipe, usage:

that would be nice
While a nice idea... it breaks the UI paradigm. The device is supposed to be fully usable w/one hand. This usually means 1 finger (since it takes 3 and thumb to support it in hand).

2 finger swipes make more sense not in conventional usage, but for extended usage in specific contexts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience