Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
the problem would be to have client no of your friends use, so maybe call it "forever alone messenger" ?
Yep They better make sure major IM protocols work We don't need a Jolla IM for now.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I don't see any reason for yet another incompatible proprietary IM app (that are currently apparently all the rage these days).

Proper out-of-the box Jabber support might help to set things right, at least a bit.
Problem is, that Jolla will use Telepathy most probably for XMPP. And as I write above, there is no support for any encryption yet (see linked bugs above).

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Problem is, that Jolla will use Telepathy most probably for XMPP. And as I write above, there is no support for any encryption yet (see linked bugs above).
Not that I am lookinging forward to use a non-integrated , non unified messaging solution but since the days of true mobile device progress 2009 - 2010 we have learned to lower our expectations

Jitsi for Android is now in Alpha development stage and at least this program is built with encryption in mind. XMPP and SIP seem to be supported on Android.

Quickly tried it on a Galaxy Note 3 , ZRTP seemed to work but the other end (OSX) did not receive voice from the mobile device.

Jitsi is growing to be by far the best multi-protocol IM client with strong encryption.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Jitsi's Jingle has problems interacting with Telepathy clients even without ZRTP. May be I should test this again. The last time I tried - it was a complete mess.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
There's no end-to-end encryption, but of course you can connect using SSL. If you and your buddies use trustworthy services, that does provide some protection.

The N9 also supports SSL for XMPP, so you can use it right now.

Looks like work on OTR support in Telepathy is progressing now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16891

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
So how is Jitsi working for you on the desktop? For me, not at all. haven't been able to establish a single connection so far.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Not that I am lookinging forward to use a non-integrated , non unified messaging solution but since the days of true mobile device progress 2009 - 2010 we have learned to lower our expectations

Jitsi for Android is now in Alpha development stage and at least this program is built with encryption in mind. XMPP and SIP seem to be supported on Android.

Quickly tried it on a Galaxy Note 3 , ZRTP seemed to work but the other end (OSX) did not receive voice from the mobile device.

Jitsi is growing to be by far the best multi-protocol IM client with strong encryption.