That may be useful info - Eero from Nokia suggested, that either copying or extracting program is causing "swapping hell". Because more people got issues with Easy Debian autoinstall, than when copying huge files (like You did), i think that we're closer to source of problems than even before.

debernardis suggestion about using different storage method may be solution to all Easy Debian problems - also, in higher picture, we may make announcement suggesting to not use "poisoned" extracting methods to avoid these bugs. Maybe even someone someday will fix it like Eero suggested, or we'll be able to open another, more precise bug report, if this turns out to be "Nokia fault".

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
That may be useful info - Eero from Nokia suggested, that either copying or extracting program is causing "swapping hell". Because more people got issues with Easy Debian autoinstall, than when copying huge files (like You did), i think that we're closer to source of problems than even before.

debernardis suggestion about using different storage method may be solution to all Easy Debian problems - also, in higher picture, we may make announcement suggesting to not use "poisoned" extracting methods to avoid these bugs. Maybe even someone someday will fix it like Eero suggested, or we'll be able to open another, more precise bug report, if this turns out to be "Nokia fault".
Ok, as a double check and since I had recently reinstalled open office (over 200 mb I think), I decided to copy the debian image on MyDocs to the microSD as back-up tonight. The image is 2 GB and it took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to copy. No rebooting and as far as I can tell no problems.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
@qole

Do you reckon there´s any chance running bodhi on your easy debian scripts? And if so, what would I need to do to achieve that?

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
The image is 2 GB and it took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to copy. No rebooting and as far as I can tell no problems.
Quite long. It is 0.44 MB/s. Seems to be below eMMC/microSd performance cap.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Quite long. It is 0.44 MB/s. Seems to be below eMMC/microSd performance cap.
This has always been the case. Should it be about 10 times faster?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi mscion,

Can you try my 0.9.56 suggestion (quoted below) and then try copying the file again? It should copy much more quickly.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok version 0.9.56 adds a second script, nr_requests_setup, that seems to fix the decompression problem even when Swappolube is disabled.

So now you have to run two commands the first time (after a reboot):
Code:
sudo nr_requests_setup
sudo swapoffon
After that, each time you are about to do something "big", just issue the "sudo swapoffon" command.

Hi mscion,

Can you try my 0.9.56 suggestion (quoted below) and then try copying the file again? It should copy much more quickly.
Hi qole. For some reason I do not see 0.9.56. Only 0.9.55. I checked extras, extras-devel, and extras-testing....

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have no idea how the new version didn't get uploaded, and how I didn't realize it didn't get uploaded until now...

So I've uploaded it again. Let's try it now...

This means that nobody has tested this version. Maybe it will fix the reboots after all...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I have no idea how the new version didn't get uploaded, and how I didn't realize it didn't get uploaded until now...

So I've uploaded it again. Let's try it now...

This means that nobody has tested this version. Maybe it will fix the reboots after all...
Ah! Well this is much better! It took about 12 to 15 minutes to copy the easy debian image. At least a factor of 5 improvemnt. So now the performance, when copying to my micorSD is better than 2mb/s.

I tried to see if this update would improve performance of OO.o. Unfortunately, the load times did not change significantly. But, it seemed that when I tapped OO.o buttons (like file) the response was better. Usually I have to tap it several times for the options menu to come up, which can be annoying at times. Now it comes up soon after a single tap. Could this update be responsible for the better response? It did not seem as if loading time of a document was any better. Perhaps the bottleneck here is the 256mb ram. Too bad the n900 didn't come with 512mb!

Since I never had the reboot problem I cannot tell if this fix takes care of it. Someone else will have to check.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-05-29 at 00:55.

I think that this can't be related, cause swapon/swapoff help to decompress and copy image, according to changelog, chrot/image wasn't changed.

I have different question for You qole - sorry if its dumb, but I'm by no means expert on this topic:

Is there any chance to overpass new gconf compatibility problems? I would love to install LibreOffice instead Oo amongst other things, but when i tried, many programs (including LO) suffer menu problems (strange characters or "---" lines instead of any menu text).

It' a chance that anytime soon we won't be "doomed" to use lenny/squezee/wheezy mix?

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze