Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
What dependency problem are you having with davfs2 on openrepos ? I just tried installing it again, and on my device it install fine without complains, did you enable my repository ?
You said in the davfs for Jolla thread that it should suffice to also have OpenSSL installed, which I do, but I'm still getting this denpendency problem.
The main question though is, if I successfully install davfs on my Jolla, will that enable me to mount a Webdav share on the Jolla file system?
Attached Images

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2015-02-04 at 23:49.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The WebDAV implementation in Cargo Dock supports uploads to WebDAV.
Sorry, what I meant to say is that the CargoDock GUI currently does not have upload functionality, or more precisely, I can't find it. If it's there,
In any case, you also said that it's (at the moment?) not possible to rsync stuff to Owncloud through CargoDock.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well what you want to do, is to make it a service that monitors your "/home/nemo/Pictures/Camera/" and automatically uploads anything when you snap a picture or take a video.

No need for any kind of GUI there.

[*] actually I am of a mind that less GUI-tweaking you need to do, the smarter your device is...
Well that certainly applies not just to you, but also dozens of other Jolla users who earn their living in the IT sector, right?
Not so much to people who don't know how to code, set up a server etc., or let's just say the average smartphone user. I actually keep forgetting that the average smartphone user will also never be an Owncloud user...
Me, I'm sort of somewhere inbetween these two categories, much closer to the latter one.
So tell me, how do you "make it a service"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Well that certainly applies not just to you, but also dozens of other Jolla users who earn their living in the IT sector, right?
Not so much to people who don't know how to code, set up a server etc., or let's just say the average smartphone user. I actually keep forgetting that the average smartphone user will also never be an Owncloud user...
Me, I'm sort of somewhere inbetween these two categories, much closer to the latter one.
So tell me, how do you "make it a service"?
Well, for starters; you can categorize applications broadly in 2 groups:
  • One kind is something that an user starts and uses. (browser, email, document-reader, ...)
  • Other kind is something that runs there "always" and users rarely know about it. (ofono, sshd, init, ...)

Fairly often there are cases that you have "both kinds work together" to make an useful functionality, for example the call recorder. It consists of 2 parts; one is a service always active and waiting for a call to happen and start recording, and the other is the user interface where you can change settings and listen to the recordings.

So. How to make an application a service? The first requirement is that it needs to run headless, meaning it should not need to display anything on the GUI nor require any direct user input when it strts and runs.
The next requirement is to launch it automatically, which on SFOS means it is started and stopped by systemd.

The details for this are usually hidden in the installation RPM package (but of course you can also do it manually)
In a simplified explanation; you create a small launcher script in /lib/systemd/system/ folder which tells what the service is and how to invoke it. There are quite a few service scripts there, you can look at them and see how they work.

The beautiful thing about packaging in linux (whether it be RPM or DEB or whatever) is that it is easy to create functionality that uses both services and UI components and it installs (and uninstalls) pretty much automatically without any need for the user to understand what happens under the hood.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
You said in the davfs for Jolla thread that it should suffice to also have OpenSSL installed, which I do, but I'm still getting this denpendency problem.
The main question though is, if I successfully install davfs on my Jolla, will that enable me to mount a Webdav share on the Jolla file system?
Hmm
Did you install my opened version from open reps?
I will update my packages later this week

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Did you install my opened version from open reps?
Yes, is there any other version?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Austria
I just came across this thread and wanted to chime in.
I'm the main developer of the (yes, yes, unofficial) ownCloud client for SailfishOS.
The client has been on the Jolla store for some time now but
2 months ago we got a nice little backup daemon running, which will be pushed to OpenRepos as soon as v0.3 is approved.
I should have advertised this earlier, but oh well.
So, if anybody is interested and can't wait until v0.3 hits the Jolla store (v0.3 is a pre-requisite for the daemon), you can grab the source from: https://github.com/beidl/harbour-owncloud
Note that building and running installs both the app and the daemon on the phone.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Sorry, what I meant to say is that the CargoDock GUI currently does not have upload functionality, or more precisely, I can't find it. If it's there,
In any case, you also said that it's (at the moment?) not possible to rsync stuff to Owncloud through CargoDock.
You're right that there is no rsync support, because the filesystem is not mounted via a kernel filesystem driver.
That means, that the syncing would have to be implemented without rsync.

Anyway, uploading to OwnCloud with Cargo Dock is the same procedure as copying files locally. You have two panes. In one pane you open the source folder, in the other pane the destination folder (in this case on your OwnCloud). Tap and hold on a file in the source folder to get into selection mode and select what you want to upload. Then select "Copy" from the menu.
For downloading, do the same, just vice versa.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
hmm

https://owncloud.org/faq/#rsync

"Why does ownCloud use csync rather than rsync?

rsync is a one-way syncing protocol. This means that if you have two servers and delete a file on one side, it will pop up again if you use rsync. To ensure old files get removed but new files added, and updated files overwritten, you need a N-to-N sync solution. ownCloud uses csync for syncing, which also deals with conflicts in a smart way."

Originally Posted by beidl View Post
2 months ago we got a nice little backup daemon running
Could you elaborate on what the backup daemon does? What does it backup, and to where... Maybe a developer would understand what it is just by the words backup daemon, but a little explanation for the layman would be cool.

(btw: man, I can' t believe you actually call yrself that as a dev name)

Tags
owncloud, rsync, webdav