Active Topics

I have done more than scratch it, I cracked the screen yesterday

It fell out of my bag and onto concrete... Only had it for less than a week, and the screen's cracked. Meanwhile, I've dropped my N900 dozens of times from great heights and barely scratched it. Capacitive screens are really very easy to break!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mnnm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
I've managed to scratch mine too, though the scratches are odd.

They're tiny little holes that have started to appear all over the screen...I can only assume it happened while in my jeans pocket.

All the little spots you see in the images below are actually holes. The one above the camera is by far the largest... the others are otherwise usually not visible to the naked eye, unless viewed at an extreme angle (getting a picture of them was not easy).
Attached Images

are there any screen protectors for the N9, and does the screen have an oleophobic coating that would be lost if i added a screen protector?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
lol, i just managed to scratch mine... :/

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
anyone else had this problem then? i think i will go to a nokia repair centre to ask! typed my serial number into nokia UK website and it says its under warranty! so we will see what they say!

they better not say, "here's a Nokia 800 as a replacement!"

more than likely they will say scratches are not covered but worth a go! Still not convined it is a scratch though!
keen to know how you get on grazy

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
are there any screen protectors for the N9, and does the screen have an oleophobic coating that would be lost if i added a screen protector?
There is, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPG-Nokia-N9...#ht_5536wt_876

I ordered the "full-body" N9 version directly from his site (not ebay). It arrived in a few days. My N9 is still in the post so I have no opinion on whether the protector is good or not.

EDIT: I do not recommend this screen protector. The cuts were not accurate for the camera/sensor holes and left a few millimeters gap between the top of the screen and the casing (the bottom portion of the protector was aligned flush to the casing). once I got the protector applied with the water/soap mix, I did not like the feel at all. Perhaps it needed to dry first, but it was not a smooth touch (rubbery) and air bubbles/stress marks were visible everywhere even though I applied with the squeegee. it looked a mess if you angled it beneath the light a certain way and made the N9 feel like a cheap phone.

I used the protector for the metal camera frame on the back (comes with the full kit). Again, it's several millimeters too short to fit perfectly, but it should prevent scratches to the metal and it was easy to apply because it was small. the rest of the full body kit comes with pieces to apply everywhere else and I'm not even going to bother, will just use the rubber case that came with the N9.

For reference I'm coming from using a Vikuiti DQC-160 screen protector for the N900 for 2 years which required no adhesive to apply, which I prefer. I think I'm going to try out their CV8 protector since it seems like the DQC kind of protector (would like to hear opinions on it or other protectors).

EDIT 2: I went for the Vikuiti adqc27 instead. It hasn't arrived yet.

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/art...-n9-57387.html

Last edited by Drekkie; 2011-11-03 at 12:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mnnm View Post
It fell out of my bag and onto concrete... Only had it for less than a week, and the screen's cracked. Meanwhile, I've dropped my N900 dozens of times from great heights and barely scratched it. Capacitive screens are really very easy to break!
Sorry to hear that mate....
It's probably because of the very narrow gap they have between the panel & outer layer/s?
The thing they tout as contributing towards the icons seeming to "float on the screen".

Originally Posted by mooglez View Post
it's possible to scratch it if you happen to rub it against something harder than the gorilla glass it has.

bad luck with some mineral dust in your pocket would do it, or some girl in a bar with a diamond ring..
Indeed.
I have scratched my ip4 and GS most probably this way and as i'm keeping N9 for +1 year it's just matter of time before N9 gets some marks.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by mnnm View Post
I have done more than scratch it, I cracked the screen yesterday

Ah that's really bad! can you get it fixed? have you taken it to a nokia repair centre?

does it still work ok?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Having had a close look to this phone: it's far from durable.

The fact that the screen's outer layer is designed curvred, to touch the ground first is of not much help either.

Good for the anti shok rubber manufacturerz.