Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Good day, All,
Trying to join your ranks but as feared this "step by step" install procedure is absorbing way too much of my time.

Problem is that the instructions are as if written down by somebody who knew them by heart but did not bother to verify them for mistakes , updates and structure. Is this a nerdiness test or what is it? Sad.

Now where I am stuck, maybe you recognize the problem and will be so kind as to offer advice: both on MAC OS as on Windows I am stuck at the fastboot command that is given by Sony.

fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x<insert your unlock code>

replaced the <insert your unlock code> with my unlock code, no space between unlock code and 0x.

MAC OS: Result: "fastboot: invalid option --i"

Windows 10, command given as .\fastboot.exe -i.... Result: "FAILED (remote: Command did not succeed) "

Sony cynically adds:

Verify that you get an answer back without any errors.

Done! You have now unlocked the bootloader of your device.

Yes I verified if the answer did contain no errors. It did. Now what, Sony?
Yes, my boot loader is unlockable.

I guess I am NOT a developer not worthy of Sailfish X.

Thanks for any help, in the meantime, if I get to solve this by myself will post. Search on Jolla together did not bring any reply on fastboot issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

So close but note the bold bits - looks like you have a double-dash

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
So close but note the bold bits - looks like you have a double-dash
Thanks for trying to point to an obvious mistake, but I correctly typed : fastboot -i. I verified the wiki page for fastboot: "-i" IS a valid option.

The double dash is as given by the resulting error code, not the actual command.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
you can omit this '-i 0x0fce ' part
it is to specify the exact connected phone. doesn't matter when you connect only one phone

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
OK, I got my Xperia X unlocked with the Sony given fastboot command, after moving from MacOS to Windows 10.
In windows the error was clearly my mistake as I got 2 digits switched in the unlock code resulting in (remote: Command did not succeed) On MAC OS this was not the case as direct copy / paste from Sony website.

The odd error on MAC OS hasn't been solved and I stand by my comment about carelessly written procedure for MAC OS: for example:

Install Homebrew using instructions on this link.
"brew tap caskroom/cask brew cask install android-platform-tools"

The above are 2 commands given as if they were one.
How are non-experienced users going to finish installing the android-platform-tools and if they ever do , how to get rid of them after they are no longer needed?

Ok now over to Sailfish OS Have a good day all, will be back complaining about missing parts later , hehe..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I tried to find the fastboot command I used from the history files but could not... I think I did it on a machine that's not reachable from where I am now.

However I am fairly sure I did just "fastboot oem unlock <code_from_sony>"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I wonder which version of android the SailfishOS 3.0 will upgrade to, some of my banking app are telling me that my phone will not be supported soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I wonder which version of android the SailfishOS 3.0 will upgrade to, some of my banking app are telling me that my phone will not be supported soon.
Also wondering. Just installed Sailfish X, found out that Wire secure messenger is not working (installs but can't log in).

Yeah right, boycott or tax Orange juice and Harley Davidson but leave Silicon Valley untouched, that will surely speed up the development of a European integrated OS + messenger application after the 2009 Skype + Nokia tandem got broken up by Microsoft.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Good day, All,
Trying to join your ranks but as feared this "step by step" install procedure is absorbing way too much of my time.

Problem is that the instructions are as if written down by somebody who knew them by heart but did not bother to verify them for mistakes , updates and structure. Is this a nerdiness test or what is it? Sad.

Now where I am stuck, maybe you recognize the problem and will be so kind as to offer advice: both on MAC OS as on Windows I am stuck at the fastboot command that is given by Sony.

replaced the <insert your unlock code> with my unlock code, no space between unlock code and 0x.

Windows 10, command given as .\fastboot.exe -i.... Result: "FAILED (remote: Command did not succeed) "

Sony cynically adds:

Verify that you get an answer back without any errors.

Done! You have now unlocked the bootloader of your device.

Yes I verified if the answer did contain no errors. It did. Now what, Sony?
Yes, my boot loader is unlockable.

I guess I am NOT a developer not worthy of Sailfish X.

Thanks for any help, in the meantime, if I get to solve this by myself will post. Search on Jolla together did not bring any reply on fastboot issue.
the command is fine (as others say, if its the only connected phone, you dont need the -i 9x0fce)

1. Have you enabled OEM unlock in developer options.

2, Try another cable

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
2, Try another cable
This is important - some USB cables that come with phones are "charging only", i.e. they don't pass through the data lines.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x