PeterMeego: Ovi Store switch-over to new version with paid-content when most have upgraded later this week. PR1.1.1 #N900 must update then to access.

Does this mean they have a proper store but they've waited until 1.2 to open it for us????

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
While I understand the reasons, I still believe that such non-trivial effort should have been made.
Then Nokia gets accused of putting out substandard software?

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that this all about user experience. Polishing software is a lot of work. Polishing each application for resistive screen (as good as it is) is not trivial considering that we are making the UI for our Nokia product on MeeGo for capacitive screens as we have said already in Maemo Summit 2009.
I really question the idea that you can't design a UI that would be equally useful and *ooh, shiny* on resistive and capacitive devices. For the most part, the utility of capacitive multitouch on phone sized devices has been limited to stupid gimmick gestures and slightly better onscreen keyboard input. At the same time, you give up the ability to use a stylus for better precision, cold weather use, edge of fingernail, etc. which IMO is an awful trade off.

I will not buy a next generation Nokia phone that does not offer a stylus as a viable input option and a hardware keyboard, period. The extremely poor treatment of N900 customers in terms of post sale support & failure to honor rebates had me moving towards Android anyways.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
@switchfiend Why dont you get an Android Update there is 2.1 out for long and 2.2 is in work you can download this firmware for near any device at the internet. And 2.2 if a big step away from PreRelease 1.2 you see?

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
@switchfiend Why dont you get an Android Update there is 2.1 out for long and 2.2 is in work you can download this firmware for near any device at the internet. And 2.2 if a big step away from PreRelease 1.2 you see?
I don't think it's that easy

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This is what I paid for N900
|------------------|

This is what I think I would get from it
|-----------------------------------------|

This is how big a fuss I would make, if I don't get what I want from it
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
@madnes why do you say Meego is a new System its mostly from Maemo Components as you can see at some threads here its called a better Maemo 6.
From a $$$ point of view, Meego is a new OS.
Think about it: How many people will run at the stores when the new device with the new shiny Meego OS shows up in the stores?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
Maemo 6 was never coming to the N900 so why are you lot expecting Meego. Nokia have been saying all along that the new OS was for capacitive screens (though I think most educated users would prefer to stick with resistive) so this is no suprise. Meego is a long way off being a polished OS and now we have QT the commercial apps will start to appear. I fail to see the problem.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
My point was that there is no official update for my phone past Android 1.6. There are numerous custom ROM images created to port newer releases, but they are homebrew.

I was talking about the fact that a phone which has been out for only four months longer than the N900 has been abandoned by it's manufacturer.

Listening to people on here complaining that they aren't going to get a port of Meego strikes me as a similar situation. Meego's core functionality (the base platform minus whatever Nokia is going to do to it to ship on their next device) will be available, and I'm sure industrious hackers can put together a similar custom ROM.

I'm just saying, be happy you guys got two actual updates (and there still could be more, just not an official update to Meego).

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I don't think it's that easy
It's not incredibly difficult, it just involves rooting your phone and reflashing to one of the custom ROMs. Oh, and then reinstalling all your apps that aren't able to be included in the ROM (although some of the newer Cyanogen updates do this for you).

It is more effort than I've been willing to do, however; which is why my Android phone is still stuck at 1.6.

I was just trying to draw attention to the fact that folks on here who are talking about how much better it is on the Android side of the fence aren't necessarily correct. Android has it's own bureaucratic nonsense (like coordinating updates between Google, the handset manufacturer, and the carrier).

The Following User Says Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser