Yeah, and it ships disabled, and no-one ever makes it to the control panel, and so don't know they have it...

Yeah, I'm a pessimist about users. I went through everything in the control panel when I got mine, after reading the whole manual. But people think I'm weird for being that way, so I must assume most people aren't like me are inferior.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
OMG!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I didn't even know I wanted this... and yet, now I won't be able to go without it

Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
Confusion solved -

Add a control panel preference:

"Disable", "5 Seconds After Covering Light Sensor", "10 Seconds After Covering Light Sensor".
I like it!

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Ok just tested the totally dark room issue - it appears the light from the screen is enough to keep it from locking until you actually cover the sensor with something (eg: a finger or case). This was tested with the screen at 3/5 display brightness.

This is too cool!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Totally dark room... 3/5 brightness... OUCH, my eyes! But that's a good point, as long as you don't install advanced brightness applet or otherwise mess with getting reasonable brightnesses for dark rooms, it'll probably be plenty bright. And if you do (and that does make it dim enough), you're sufficiently sentient to disable it. That could happen, after all.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is so useful. Thanks!

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Best thing since sliced bread for the users who put their tablets in their pockets (including me).

Loaded and workd great. Thanks. But is there a setting to delay lock anywhere?
Can it be toggled on/off?

FWIW, in a partially dark room (ie: light on on next room - door open) with my normal screen brightness (about 15%) it does lock.
I'd be concerned with GPS/map use at night since the screen goes off immediately after lock.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ South Bend IN
I too tried using it in the dark last night, and it did lock with a low brightness. But if you use the slider to unlock the screen, a message pops up just after the unlock message that says "Autolock disabled." Messing around with it a bit more, it looks like the switch will toggle the disabled/enabled state of the program. So you can unlock (and keep it unlocked) easily when needed, and then re-enable it when you're done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hvacengi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Ok geeks, stop it, you're killing me!
I posted first as I instantly knew this was a great idea and a must have for my needs. Then before visiting the download it hit me, the N800 doesn't have an ambient light sensor...

Happy to hear that it actually works. But I'm still envious.

Tags
autolock, light sensor