Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
Hi Friends,

I attempted to make my first Wiki Page. I used the Ubiboot Steps to make it. Please review and hope you like it. Feedback is most welcome (preferably via PM as I am not always online on the forums).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot
I followed the procedure that have mentioned for installing nemo but when I when I try to boot into it the phone just switches off and nothing else happens. I have mounted /dev/mmcblk0p4 to make sure that nemo was extracted properly. Do I need to add prenit files for it like Harmattan and Nitdroid?

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ncik View Post
I followed the procedure that have mentioned for installing nemo but when I when I try to boot into it the phone just switches off and nothing else happens. I have mounted /dev/mmcblk0p4 to make sure that nemo was extracted properly. Do I need to add prenit files for it like Harmattan and Nitdroid?
No need of custom preinit file for Nemo.
Do you check if the Nemo kernel path in ubiboot.conf is correct?
It should be (this is mine):
Code:
# Nemo kernels
G_NEMO_NUM=1
G_NEMO_AUTOBOOT=1
G_NEMO_1_LABEL="Latest 2.6.32"
G_NEMO_1_FILE="/boot/Nemo/boot/bzImage"
G_NEMO_2_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_2_FILE=""
G_NEMO_3_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_3_FILE=""
G_NEMO_4_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_4_FILE=""
G_NEMO_5_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_5_FILE=""
G_NEMO_6_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_6_FILE=""
The bzImage kernel is placed into /boot folder into Nemo root, against the Harmattan and NITdroid kernels that are placed both in Harmattan /boot folder.

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by death_jax View Post
No need of custom preinit file for Nemo.
Do you check if the Nemo kernel path in ubiboot.conf is correct?
It should be (this is mine):
Code:
# Nemo kernels
G_NEMO_NUM=1
G_NEMO_AUTOBOOT=1
G_NEMO_2_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_2_FILE=""
G_NEMO_3_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_3_FILE=""
G_NEMO_4_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_4_FILE=""
G_NEMO_5_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_5_FILE=""
G_NEMO_6_LABEL=""
G_NEMO_6_FILE=""
The bzImage kernel is placed into /boot folder into Nemo root, against the Harmattan and NITdroid kernels that are placed both in Harmattan /boot folder.
@ncik:

Yup...I encountered that as well when I was learning how to install Ubiboot.

That's why in the "TIPS" under the "Install Nemo Mobile OS" section (#5) I mentioned NOT to turn on the device yet until you finish the rest of the steps...because the latter part of the Wiki talks about the "bzImage" of Nemo and how to go about it.

@death_jax

Hm..."bzImage" to be saved in the /boot folder of the Nemo partition...that I did not do, since there is already a file named "bzImage" in that location when I checked it; it is a symlink that points to a file named "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950".

What I did is (as I have written in the Wiki):

1. I took a look at the properties of the "bzImage" file that is located in /boot of the Nemo partition and found out that it is a "symlink" (symbolic link) that points to a file named "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950", which is also already there (in /boot of Nemo partition). I never got Nemo to boot up (turns off after turning on, or reboot loop).

2. So I took that "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950" file and copy-pasted it to the /boot folder of the N9 root partition (not the /boot folder that we created inside the N9 "MyDocs" partition), and then renamed it as "bzImage".

3. That was the only time I got to resolve the "reboot loop" or "not booting/turning off" problem whenever I tried to use Nemo.

These steps are documented in the Wiki as "FINAL STEPS" under the section of "Flash the Device with Ubiboot-02".

The nice thing about Ubiboot is, you don't have to start from scratch. While the device is turned off, plug the USB cable to the computer. The device will turn on in "maintenance mode" and (if you are using a Linux-based OS), all the partitions will be mounted (i.e. your File Manager will fire up, showing the partitions). Once that happens, copy-paste the files as indicated in the Wiki.

The only exception is that if you failed to extract the "preinits.tar" file prior. I read all the IRC logs and in one of those conversations, extraction of the "preinits.tar" file needs to happen at the earlier part of the process. So that is what I have followed.

By the way, I documented the steps in such a way that it conforms to how the author (juiceme) already designed the "ubiboot.conf" file so as to lessen the number of things that a user would need to do (example: I wrote the steps such that "zImage" would be renamed to be spelled the same way as it was in the ubiboot.conf file, e.g. "zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+l2fix"...under "NITDroid Files"section).

Hopefully this allows more end-users to be able to install Ubiboot with the least amount of trouble, as long as they follow the steps in the order it was written in the Wiki. Of course, more experienced users can afford to alter the order of steps as they know what they are doing (editing ubiboot.conf, etc.). I targeted the Wiki/guide to end-users so as to gain patronage of Ubiboot.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
@ncik:

That's why in the "TIPS" under the "Install Nemo Mobile OS" section (#5) I mentioned NOT to turn on the device yet until you finish the rest of the steps...because the latter part of the Wiki talks about the "bzImage" of Nemo and how to go about it.

@death_jax

Hm..."bzImage" to be saved in the /boot folder of the Nemo partition...that I did not do, since there is already a file named "bzImage" in that location when I checked it; it is a symlink that points to a file named "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950".

1. I took a look at the properties of the "bzImage" file that is located in /boot of the Nemo partition and found out that it is a "symlink" (symbolic link) that points to a file named "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950", which is also already there (in /boot of Nemo partition). I never got Nemo to boot up (turns off after turning on, or reboot loop).

2. So I took that "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950" file and copy-pasted it to the /boot folder of the N9 root partition (not the /boot folder that we created inside the N9 "MyDocs" partition), and then renamed it as "bzImage".

3. That was the only time I got to resolve the "reboot loop" or "not booting/turning off" problem whenever I tried to use Nemo.

These steps are documented in the Wiki as "FINAL STEPS" under the section of "Flash the Device with Ubiboot-02".

The nice thing about Ubiboot is, you don't have to start from scratch. While the device is turned off, plug the USB cable to the computer. The device will turn on in "maintenance mode" and (if you are using a Linux-based OS), all the partitions will be mounted (i.e. your File Manager will fire up, showing the partitions). Once that happens, copy-paste the files as indicated in the Wiki.

The only exception is that if you failed to extract the "preinits.tar" file prior. I read all the IRC logs and in one of those conversations, extraction of the "preinits.tar" file needs to happen at the earlier part of the process. So that is what I have followed.

By the way, I documented the steps in such a way that it conforms to how the author (juiceme) already designed the "ubiboot.conf" file so as to lessen the number of things that a user would need to do (example: I wrote the steps such that "zImage" would be renamed to be spelled the same way as it was in the ubiboot.conf file, e.g. "zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+l2fix"...under "NITDroid Files"section).

Hopefully this allows more end-users to be able to install Ubiboot with the least amount of trouble, as long as they follow the steps in the order it was written in the Wiki. Of course, more experienced users can afford to alter the order of steps as they know what they are doing (editing ubiboot.conf, etc.). I targeted the Wiki/guide to end-users so as to gain patronage of Ubiboot.
Although I couldn't keep the device off like you mentioned (it wouldn't stay off).. but the bzImage is at the location as it should be. I reconfirmed. I have some issues flashing because I use a linux VM. I am not sure if that is what is causing the issues. I don't how it should since I saw and Alt_OS partition and made sure all the files were extracted there properly.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Although I couldn't keep the device off like you mentioned (it wouldn't stay off).. but the bzImage is at the location as it should be. I reconfirmed. I have some issues flashing because I use a linux VM. I am not sure if that is what is causing the issues. I don't how it should since I saw and Alt_OS partition and made sure all the files were extracted there properly.
I'm finishing a video step-by-step of Ubiboot (currently in a "to-follow" state, mentioned in the Wiki). Apologies as I'm currently busy at work during weekdays. I'm targeting to finish it by the weekend.

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
@ncik:

@death_jax

In fact I didn't write to put bzImage into /boot of Nemo, I only adviced to check if the path in ubiboot.conf is the right path to that (symlink, I know ) file, because maybe he could have modified the name of it, never exclude each possibily track when you helps someone.

I also know what you wrote in the wiki, I took the liberty to edit parts of it when you posted the message of its creation

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
There is a similar situation when remote-unlocking an encrypted hard drive. In that scenario, passwd is empty and the auth is key-based. This may be feasible in this case.
I'll have to look into that.
What I was trying to achieve, is to have the same password for ubiboot ssh console as exists for root user on Harmattan (which is "rootme" as default but I sure hope everybody changes it to something different on their devices...)
The problem here is that as ubiboot runs rootFS from ramdisk, there is no persistent storage and I had an idea of symlinking the existing files from Harmattan.

Now thinking of this, I realise that the correct way to do this is of course by storing the credentials in ubiboot.conf and creating the needed files on-the-fly in init.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
No need for anything like that, just check that your Nemo related settings are correct in ubiboot.conf:

G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init"
G_NEMO_PARTITION=4
G_MOUNTABLE_PARTITONS="/mnt/2 /mnt/4"
G_NEMO_NUM=1
G_NEMO_AUTOBOOT=0 ## or could be 1 actually in this case

Normally when the Nemo rootFS is extracted to device partition, all the files needed to boot it up (including the most recent kernel at the time of package creation) are set to correct locations.
This is why ubiboot refers to the Nemo kernel as "/boot/Nemo/boot/bzImage", which in turn is the symlink inside Nemo to the vmlinuz-2.6.32.xxxxxxxx in the same directory.

It just works, out-of-the-box.

One thing, when you say the device "turns off after Nemo boot", did you check that it did not actually start Nemo, but without GUI?
If you plug the device in USB, if the IP interface appears on your computer, you can configure, for example 192.168.0.100 as the IP address there and SSH as root to your Nemo in 192.168.2.15

If that happens, rebooting the device should get you GUI on the next boot.

BTW, can you check the ubiboot logs on Harmattan side /var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg. From there you can see if there was some problem in the kernel selection.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Normally when the Nemo rootFS is extracted to device partition, all the files needed to boot it up (including the most recent kernel at the time of package creation) are set to correct locations.
This is why ubiboot refers to the Nemo kernel as "/boot/Nemo/boot/bzImage", which in turn is the symlink inside Nemo to the vmlinuz-2.6.32.xxxxxxxx in the same directory.

It just works, out-of-the-box.

One thing, when you say the device "turns off after Nemo boot", did you check that it did not actually start Nemo, but without GUI?
If you plug the device in USB, if the IP interface appears on your computer, you can configure, for example 192.168.0.100 as the IP address there and SSH as root to your Nemo in 192.168.2.15

If that happens, rebooting the device should get you GUI on the next boot.

BTW, can you check the ubiboot logs on Harmattan side /var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg. From there you can see if there was some problem in the kernel selection.
I checked both the log files but can't make out what is wrong with them. Hope you could help me find it. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip ubiboot.dmesg.zip (155.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: zip ubiboot.log.zip (11.5 KB, 109 views)