Active Topics

Notices

Thank you so much for a first sailfish version.
Waited for it since I saw a post of you in jolla together.

It worked good in a first test. But only scrolled on the map. My current location updated successful too. I'll report back if I tested tracking a bit.

Features like routing are yet to come, y?

It would be a good idea to change the thread title or post another thread in sailfish forum part if you are ready to give it to more then a handful people with a jolla getting lost here.

The Following User Says Thank You to CLRS530 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by CLRS530 View Post
Thank you so much for a first sailfish version.
Waited for it since I saw a post of you in jolla together.

It worked good in a first test. But only scrolled on the map. My current location updated successful too. I'll report back if I tested tracking a bit.

Features like routing are yet to come, y?
Routing is planed, but not yet there in the GUI.

What should work:
  • position display and centering
  • the tiled map
  • map tile caching to local storage (tiles are downloaded only once)
  • switching map layers (some layers might not work)
  • address and Wikipedia search
  • location stats display
  • both landscapes and portraits
  • about page

Originally Posted by CLRS530 View Post
It would be a good idea to change the thread title or post another thread in sailfish forum part if you are ready to give it to more then a handful people with a jolla getting lost here.
Sure, I plan to do that once I publish it on OpenRepos. But I think I'll probably stick with this thread for the time being, it has been going for 4 years already and I don't feel like replicating stuff all the time to another one.

But I will probably create a question on Together.

Last edited by MartinK; 2014-02-27 at 18:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I wish the GPS was working in the N9 Sailfish port - then I could at least use the Jolla version if routing came to that first. Nokia Maps is just so frustrating, it keeps declaring "you can't get there from here".

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I'm currently working mostly on the Qt 5 GUI, while maintaining & improving the GTK GUI used on the N900. Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on the Qt 4 based GUI, that is currently being used on the N9....
while there is a project out there somewhere to bring qt5 to N9, I don't believe it ever reached the packaged stage and seemed to generally be received with apathy.

Some possibly useful links:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85028
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Nokia-N9
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SettingU...vironmentForN9

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I wish the GPS was working in the N9 Sailfish port - then I could at least use the Jolla version if routing came to that first. Nokia Maps is just so frustrating, it keeps declaring "you can't get there from here".
I will at least make sure the current Qt 4 based GUI still works on the N9 with new modRana version, but other than that it doesn't look very likely I will be able to to work on it much. Also regarding routing, vector drawing is basically completely different with Qt 4 (QPainter only) and Qt 5 (the hardware accelerated & tiled Canvas can be used), so at least for drawing the route there would basically need to be a separate QPainter drawing path only for Qt 4.

On the other hand, if anyone is interested in improving the Qt4 QML GUI, this is definitely welcome! I'm open to any sensible patches/pull requests and will provide assistance in getting started with the code.

Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
while there is a project out there somewhere to bring qt5 to N9, I don't believe it ever reached the packaged stage and seemed to generally be received with apathy.

Some possibly useful links:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85028
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Nokia-N9
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SettingU...vironmentForN9
Well, that is kinda unfortunate. On the other hand, the N900 Qt 5 port seems to be getting up to steam and looks like there is already a working Qt 5.2 that can be installed on the N900 since yesterday.

So maybe due to the fixes & improvements added since Qt 5.0 it might not be that difficult to make it run also on the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
modRana for Sailfish is now available from OpenRepos !

Get modRana from OpenRepos

Currently supported features @ Sailfish
  • showing current position and direction of travel on the map
  • map tile caching (each tile is downloaded only once)
  • a great lot of various map layers
  • supports both landscapes and both portraits
  • address search, powered Nominatim and based on OpenStreeMap data
    • this is not strictly address search, queries such as "london tesco" will find all Tescos in London
    • you can also search for resturants and other ammenities with unique names, such as "Delirium cafe", which will find the venue of the anual FOSDEM beer event
  • Wikipedia search
  • detailed GPS info display
  • about page & donation links ;-)

How modRana looks like @ Sailfish:

http://modrana.org/images/sailfish/m..._landscape.png

For more screenshot, you can visit the screenshot gallery.

Feedback welcome!
Even though I've recently published a testing package, it can be expected that many people will install it only now when it is more easily available. So, let me know how you like modRana on Sailfish!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Great to see modrana on Saifish!
One of the killer features of ancient times was the quick view of interesting pois nearby.
So where's the next restaurant ,supermarket ...from my actual position .
Is this planned as well?
I would really like thïs.

asys3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asys3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by asys3 View Post
Great to see modrana on Saifish!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by asys3 View Post
One of the killer features of ancient times was the quick view of interesting pois nearby.
So where's the next restaurant ,supermarket ...from my actual position .
Is this planned as well?
I would really like thïs.

asys3
Yeah, local search is definitely planed, the only issues preventing it from being already included like address & Wikipedia search is that a while ago Google nuked the API modRana for local search.

So I'll need to switch modRana to another API - either the the Google Places API or some other, hopefully more durable one (recommendations for a suitable local search API are welcome! ).

new modRana package for the N900 has been released!

Following the Sailfish OS package release, I've also updated the modRana Maemo 5 package.
I't built fine in the Autobuilder and should soon be available from Extras-Devel.

Changes:
  • Wikipedia search should work again
  • more "night" icons for the Night theme
  • various fixes under the hood

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I will at least make sure the current Qt 4 based GUI still works on the N9 with new modRana version, but other than that it doesn't look very likely I will be able to to work on it much. Also regarding routing, vector drawing is basically completely different with Qt 4 (QPainter only) and Qt 5 (the hardware accelerated & tiled Canvas can be used), so at least for drawing the route there would basically need to be a separate QPainter drawing path only for Qt 4.
Would it be possible to at least port the code that creates the route and gives turn-by-turn directions work on QT4? That way, even if you didn't draw anything extra on screen, you could still use modRana to replace the Drive app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Would it be possible to at least port the code that creates the route and gives turn-by-turn directions work on QT4? That way, even if you didn't draw anything extra on screen, you could still use modRana to replace the Drive app.
Online & offline routing (though Monav) is already handled by the modRana Python core, in mod_route to be precise. The turn-by-turn functionality lives in mod_turnByTurn and handles TBT navigation startup, message triggers, forwarding of messages to Espeak, checking if route is followed, rerouting, navigation shutdown, etc.

So basically what's needed is just a Qt 4 GUI for setting up navigation & showing current navigation status (next turn, distances, etc.). For offline routing, the Monav routing server might need to be recompiled (if the armv7 binary for the N900 does not work) for Harmattan and for voice navigation Espeak would be needed.

If you have some Python/QML experience, it should not be that hard to get at least the basics working & I'm willing to help you get started.

But I unfortunately can give a timetable to when I might be able to do this myself due to all the other stuff that needs to be done on other parts of modRana...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps