Notices

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Introducing a new desktop applet to help keep track of cell bandwidth on an N900 - Personal GPRS Monitor

Right now the applet simple displays the amount of data the user has uploaded and downloaded while using the GPRS connection. It updates once a minute when it is being shown. When it is not shown it does not do any processing (to save you battery life).

Thanks to zerojay for the idea, design, and testing of this applet.

In future versions I will add configuration options, and perhaps a bandwidth graph. For the time being, it should be useful for monitoring those expensive data charges.

Version 0.2-2 is being built in extras-devel as I type this. I will promote it to extras-testing when I can.

Edit: Version 0.2-3 fixes my unfortunately prevalent typo

Edit Version 0.3-1: New icon (thanks joshua.maverick), updated layout, and options for refresh interval, binary or SI prefix, and display reset data.

Edit Version 0.3-2: Now the refresh interval the user chooses is actually used!

Edit Version 0.5-1: New layout with upload/download icons, easier to read numbers, and smaller foot print.

Edit Version 0.5-3: This version allows the user to switch between "compact" layout and "non-compact" layout.

Edit Version 0,5-5 is now in extras! Thanks to all the testers. The download page is http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...onal-gprs-mon/

Edit Version 0.6-3 is now in extras-devel. This version fixes the data counter problem introduced in PR1.2. Also potentially fixes data overflow error.
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2010-05-26 at 14:49. Reason: new version

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've got a pixel artist that will be working on a unique icon for the package sometime over the next day or two and a sound designer that can help with making alarm sounds so that we'll be ready for it if that feature gets added at some point.

For now, enjoy.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I'd like to help with design if that's cool?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
I'd like to help with design if that's cool?
I would, of course, accept any assistance offered. Especially design, which is one of my weaknesses.

I am hoping this initial version is good enough (i.e. with no show stoppers) to promote to extras-testing and get into extras. New versions would be available in extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Great stuff!

Any garage site up for it so others can contribute? Woud love to see a monthly/weekly/whatever summary and reset features.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Great stuff!

Any garage site up for it so others can contribute? Woud love to see a monthly/weekly/whatever summary and reset features.
Reset is planned, but right now can be done through the control panel. Summary is a good idea, I can implement that in a future version.

Maybe clicking on the widget brings up a summary dialog, and (when in desktop edit mode) the widget settings dialog can contain the reset.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just wanted to pop my head into this thread and say I think you guys are awesome, and this is why I'm buying an N900.

kthx.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Reset is planned, but right now can be done through the control panel. Summary is a good idea, I can implement that in a future version.

Maybe clicking on the widget brings up a summary dialog, and (when in desktop edit mode) the widget settings dialog can contain the reset.
Sounds good to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
How about 3g connection for those who have it?

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I just wanted to pop my head into this thread and say I think you guys are awesome, and this is why I'm buying an N900.

kthx.
Glad to hear it. Make sure you try to take part and get involved so that you can be sure that you get the features in that you want. You don't need to be a programmer. Come to the #maemo IRC room and talk about your ideas.. post them to brainstorm. You just might end up with what you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: