Am I really the first one to post this? From wsj.com:

Google, Nokia to Launch
Internet Browsing Device
By CASSELL BRYAN-LOW
May 12, 2006 11:53 a.m.

Google Inc. is teaming up with handset maker Nokia Corp., in a move that could help propel the Internet company into mobile communications.

The companies plan to launch a version of Nokia's hand-held Internet browsing device ready loaded with Google's Google Talk service, which enables users to have voice conversations and exchange instant messages, according to a person familiar with the plans. The device, which relies on short-range technology known as Wi-Fi rather than cellphone networks, isn't a cellphone.

The companies, which plan to announce the partnership on Tuesday, expect the device to go on sale globally and cost about €300, or about $390, the person said. Nokia also is talking to other companies about incorporating their Internet communication software onto the device.

The device is an upgrade to a product Nokia first launched in September called the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. The device was the Espoo, Finland, company's first mobile device that isn't also a cellphone. Slightly larger than most personal organizers, it has a wide, high-resolution screen intended for easy Web-page browsing. It also plays video and music.

If this "person familiar with the plans" is correct this would mean we'll have to buy an upgraded 770 to get VOIP. This is not what most of us were hoping for.

Release date: did someone say November?

Hmm...if this is the case, I'd be pissed.

I wonder if that will be the only voip option. I also wonder if they mean an upgrade to the current hardware (it has all the needed components). As far as I can see, unless adding more memory, all this should require is a software upgrade.

Last edited by rattis; 2006-05-12 at 19:03. Reason: for got to say

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
"Upgrade" can mean anything. I regularly use the term when speaking only of software.

Anyway. If this is true, it mean that it's likely someone has been able to demonstrate such a device. Wonder what they used for that?

newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
Well, it seems like this is the good news a lot have been waiting for. The
Wall Street Journal ([LINK:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114744849380751379.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us_bu siness]
subscriber link) is reporting today that Google and Nokia is teaming up to
add Google Talk to the Nokia 770. This seems to be the VoIP and Instant
Messaging software upgrade that Nokia is planning to release in the coming
months. No one expected that it will be using Google Talk though.

itT has gathered that Nokia will be announcing something about the much
anticipated Software Update next week. Stay tuned....
Read the full article.

Originally Posted by peer
Am I really the first one to post this? From wsj.com:
I tried.

As for the "upgrade" I'm sure Google and Nokia would rather retain the 770 userbase than alienate them by forcing them to purchase what looks to be a very similar device. It all comes down to the Voice part of VOIP and if they can get the mic working.

Originally Posted by lawbeefaroni
I tried.
Thanks for the heads up lawbeefaroni and peer! You can always use the Submit News or Contact Us link for important news like this one. We will sure get notified immediately.

Another blurb on CNBC just now. I was listening on XM but it sounded like they were showing the 770 on TV.

Release date and more news on Tuesday. They also mentioned Motorola's deal with Vonage as possible VOIP competition. I think the Google/Nokia combo has more brand appeal though.

What's interesting is that the chief complaints of the 770 by the average consumer/reviewer is that it's too limited (no phone, no robust PIM, etc). What they fail to see is that with full wifi or bluetooth coverage, those things aren't necessary. About the only thing a the 770 couldn't do that a PDA/phone combo can is take pictures.

Google sees this, obviously. They already offer a PIM (http://www.google.com/calendar/). They have google talk. They're trying to set up a seamless wifi network in SF or SD (can't remember which). It's only a matter of time before all you really need is a good screen and a robust browser. At least this appears to be their thinking.

Hey gang, I just saw a segment on CNBC talking about the new announcement between Google & Nokia. They showed the 770 in video footage and talked about running the Google Talk software on this device. They did not mention a separate device but they did say the price would be under $400 US.

It would be crazy for them to lose the exising 770 base of users. If anyone has Tivo or recorded the CNBC segment, they will be able to view that footage. If I had it I would post, but I don't. I just happened to have CNBC on in the background and it aired.

Originally Posted by lawbeefaroni
Google sees this, obviously. They already offer a PIM (http://www.google.com/calendar/). They have google talk. They're trying to set up a seamless wifi network in SF or SD (can't remember which). It's only a matter of time before all you really need is a good screen and a robust browser. At least this appears to be their thinking.
Now, that would be quite interesting. Check out the following combo:

GMail - Mail and Contacts
Google Calendar - Appointments, To-do's
Google Talk - VoIP, IM
Google Maps - mobile version

The Nokia 770 might become a Google Internet Tablet though.