Active Topics

Poll: Should talk.maemo.org create and support a dark theme like the original ITT?
Poll Options
Should talk.maemo.org create and support a dark theme like the original ITT?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
What kind of message are we going to give the future members with a disjoint theme
Why would having multiple theme options send a bad message? I don't get that at all.

Oh, there's another reason:
I don't know what that means!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Reggie,

Thank you for the response. And I did see your other post but you specifically said that for those of us that don't like.. design our own.

Was your intent to say if we don't like.. start our own forum and use our theme there? I imagine you meant that you would load that theme that was designed by someone else..

Which was specifically what I was talking about... Is there no themes that are pre-made that work with *your* specific vbulletin? (I imagine you must have made some custom changes?).

As far as the message to the community.. the entire reason why I love the internet tablet from nokia is the fact that I have options.. and I'm not jail-locked into specifically what maemo wants me to have. The same goes for the forum.. if we force people to use the one, or two themes I think it sends more of a negative message than if we had a few different options and made the community more about 'choice', and not 'control' as it were.

But that is, of course, my humble opinion. You are, of course, the god of this particular corner of the intrawebz. Your decision is, ultimately, final.

Thank you for the screenshot - was that actually of your system? You have 200+ themes? Wow.. i can see how that would be a headache.

ETA: I just saw your other reply to the other thread. So your meaning was the change all, or none. Understood - thanks for the clarification Reggie and I'll stop arguing.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-05-01 at 23:26.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Was your intent to say if we don't like.. start our own forum and use our theme there? I imagine you meant that you would load that theme that was designed by someone else..
No, definitely not! What I'm saying is, let's follow the proper procedure in the line of something like -- design - propose - vote - implement.

Which was specifically what I was talking about... Is there no themes that are pre-made that work with *your* specific vbulletin? (I imagine you must have made some custom changes?).
Yup, most are custom for the new theme. It might be a nightmare again when the forum system gets upgraded. It's all worth it though if it means it will not confuse people coming through maemo.org.

As far as the message to the community.. the entire reason why I love the internet tablet from nokia is the fact that I have options.. and I'm not jail-locked into specifically what maemo wants me to have.
I'm not against new themes. Let's have the community agree on them first before we implement it.

Thank you for the screenshot - was that actually of your system? You have 200+ themes? Wow.. i can see how that would be a headache.
A theme is composed of several (actually a lot) of components. When the forum system tells you they are incompatible with the new version, you have to manually fix each component.

Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
As a fellow vbulletin designer I'm here to tell you Reggie is right theme designing isn't as easy as everyone things it is. There are hundreds of little files you have to edit. Heck when I first wrote the minimalist theme it wasn't working right because our sand box site wasn't the same version as itt. Once again we are having to update our sandbox site for me to update minimalist theme and who knows how many fixes there will need to be done.

BTW when facebook changed there layout a few weeks ago my wife was all mad because she couldn't find anything. Now she loves it because she got used to it. Same way when MS Office Vista 2007 came out I got pissed off because I had to learn the new setup all over again but now it faster and better for me to use.

I think we should give it some time to get use to it. In the mean time come up with some alternate color schemes based off of this one. Basicly I would say keep header and orange the same but come up with some darker grays for bottom then someone do some mock ups and send them out to community and we can come up with a dark version maybe. I personally am going to do a dark minimalist version after I finish current one. If someone will come up with colors for a dark variant and we all decide together on the color I will use them for dark minimalist theme so they both match.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
A theme is composed of several (actually a lot) of components. When the forum system tells you they are incompatible with the new version, you have to manually fix each component.
Also, talk.maemo.org isn't the only vBulletin forum site Reggie admins. An additional theme here, even if free in monetary terms, isn't free in terms of time Reggie will have to invest in maintaining it. Someone volunteering to develop and maintain a theme, as Andrew does, is a different matter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Nothing was wrong with the factory default vBulletin theme we had. Bring it back please.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Man, I don't think some will ever get it.
I don't get it, and probably never will

It's a shame that all this disagreement will just take toll on the community.
I think the site change is taking more of a toll on the community than the discussion of said site change

It's not a matter of just reactivating an old theme, nor just get a pre-built theme off the shelf. It's all about our image as a community! So this is a technical issue or a image issue, can you pick one? If its an image thing, why is ok to have a community built one, but not a maemo sponsored fix?

What kind of message are we going to give the future members with a disjoint theme and all this bickering.
If bringing ITT to maemo.org mean we cannot argue and bicker, you might as well revoke my account now.

More on my other post.

Oh, there's another reason:
Look Reggie, its obvious I am pissing you off, and that was never my intent. I love ITT, I just want it to look like it always has.

Please explain how I can get a theme I like?

Do I need to get my own vbulletin system and develop it on my own? Can you give me access to a development box.

What process do I follow if I want to create and submit a alternate theme for the site?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Look Reggie, its obvious I am pissing you off, and that was never my intent.
Not at all. It's cool man.

Please explain how I can get a theme I like?
Now we're talking!

Try to search for the midgrad2cms SVN. I think there are a few Potoshop .psd's in there that contains the current maemo.org theme.

There is no need to create the theme directly at vBulletin. You can just first create some prototype screens in Photoshop and then go from there. Others might be interested to help.

What process do I follow if I want to create and submit a alternate theme for the site?
You just keep discussing it here. Create a new thread just like what Andrew did on the Minimalist theme.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Not at all. It's cool man.

Now we're talking!

Try to search for the midgrad2cms SVN. I think there are a few Potoshop .psd's in there that contains the current maemo.org theme.

There is no need to create the theme directly at vBulletin. You can just first create some prototype screens in Photoshop and then go from there. Others might be interested to help.

You just keep discussing it here. Create a new thread just like what Andrew did on the Minimalist theme.

So please connect some more dots for me. How does creating a picture get me closer to the theme? I don't assume vbulletin creates a theme from the image.

I am not trying to be stupid, but I know nothing about vbulletin, and I want to understand the entire process before I go down this road.

Are you saying I need to make a picture and get it approved before I move forward to create the theme?

I personally was thinking I want to take the default working theme and change the color scheme. I have asked several times if this is possible? is it?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Anyone else want to support the agenda?

Feel free to use if you like

Since some people were asking....