Notices

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Amazing work!
Thanks!

I've found situation, where it segfaults in reproduceable way:

Code:
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources/DustClouds/dustcloud0\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud0.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources/DustClouds/dustcloud1\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud1.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources/DustClouds/dustcloud2\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud2.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources/DustClouds/dustcloud3\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud3.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources/Nebulae/nebula0\Rl0\LOD0\nebula0.mex
WARNING: Could not find Missile for P2
WARNING: Could not find Missile for P3
WARNING: Could not find Missile for Traders
Segmentation fault
How to reproduce:
Enter "training" from menu, select "load lesson", and choose very last one (12 - practice). Try loading it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajack View Post
Not trying to be pushy or anything but screenshots would be appreciated...
I don't see much point, as Homeworld screenshots are easily found anywhere in web, and Maemo version doesn't look different... Anyway, here it is - all took from my device:

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Amazing game for n900

I seriously wanted that my n900 was alive just for this.....

I NEED to fix it, NOW!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Thank you excellent work. Working great! Anyone tried this connect to a larger screen?

Can't find my cable

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

@gdizzz
I've tested it with bluetooth mouse, and everything works, *except* for things that I've feared of - I.E rotating via right mouse button is totally broken, due to assigning it to Fn + tap. Scrolling via mouse wheel works, but of course, using two mouse buttons and trying same doesn't. Other than that - i.e. menu, selecting, etc - works fine. Heck, even right click to bring up ship's contest menu work!

Would it be possible, to retain both ways of control - i.e. both Your control via FN + mouse, and real mouse? If it is too much complicated to do, maybe at least some very small config file, where user enable - before starting game - if it should work as in vanilla, or contain Maemo control fixes?

It would be extremely useful - I suppose, that same problems may occur, when trying to play with keyboard (either bluetooth, or via hostmode).

Thanks a lot for Your work on bringing it to N900!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It seems that LAN is possible - or pretend to.
If it works for you, you're lucky. I'm getting "Could not start LAN IPX or LAN TCP/IP" after selecting player name.

I wonder, if it would be possible to bind some things to fn + shift + key? Mixed with proposed custom keymaps, it would resut in even more comfortable control
What else might be handy? I can only think of controlling the camera. Are there any keys missing? There's no Caps Lock to turn on the tactical overlay or Tilde to cancel orders, but those can be remapped in the options menu (I'm using X for the overlay and N to cancel orders, for example).

Also, I'll answer myself about "does it run solely on CPU" - yes, it does, with moderate ammount of ships, CPU is occupied like 96%-98% @900 mhz. Still plays quite smoothly, but I suppose, that during bigger battles, it may hit the limit. No big deal in single player, as we have active pause (pause where we can assign orders), but in multiplayer it coud be a small issue. I wonder, if some optimisation is possible...
I wouldn't judge that based on the CPU usage, because on my PC the original Homeworld uses 212% CPU (over 2 cores) just sitting and looking at the mothership. The truth is that this port runs on OpenGL ES v1. What worries me more than full CPU is what I often see in htop: even 40% of it is consumed by the kernel, not Homeworld.

@gdizzzWould it be possible, to retain both ways of control - i.e. both Your control via FN + mouse, and real mouse? If it is too much complicated to do, maybe at least some very small config file, where user enable - before starting game - if it should work as in vanilla, or contain Maemo control fixes?

It would be extremely useful - I suppose, that same problems may occur, when trying to play with keyboard (either bluetooth, or via hostmode).
I think it's possible to retain most of the old controls. There would be two Alts (A and the real thing) and some details about the camera. It's nice being able to connect/disconnect a mouse or a keyboard at any time, but if that fails, I could also post a separate build with unmodified controls.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Wow!!! Still play this and it's follow ups to death on PC.

Nice looking port, thankees

Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
If it works for you, you're lucky. I'm getting "Could not start LAN IPX or LAN TCP/IP" after selecting player name.
Nah, same here. I was too fast - multiplayer replied with "cannot" just after clicking menu, while LAN allowed me to go further - I ceased further testing, as I had no second Homeworldsdl instance to test with. Now, when trying, i get same results.

There's no Caps Lock to turn on the tactical overlay or Tilde to cancel orders, but those can be remapped in the options menu (I'm using X for the overlay and N to cancel orders, for example).
Right, absolutely forget about it. while ability to control "special" bindset (FN, alt...) via config file would be neat, you're right, that it's very minor, if not necessary at all, in this case.

I wouldn't judge that based on the CPU usage, because on my PC the original Homeworld uses 212% CPU (over 2 cores) just sitting and looking at the mothership. The truth is that this port runs on OpenGL ES v1. What worries me more than full CPU is what I often see in htop: even 40% of it is consumed by the kernel, not Homeworld.
I had no idea. What do you think, is there any place for optimizations?

Also, not related to optimizations, but related to gaining FPS - would it be possible to run at (You can laugh at me) 400x240 resolution, stretched to full screen? Of course, visual quality would drop, but we would still keep native pixel ratio (1 pixel become 4 pixels).

From my experiences with desktops, it often helps a lot - on my notebook, after some tweaking, I was able to comfortably play Witcher 2 with moderate graphic settings, thanks to running it @ 840x525 resolution (half of my 1680x1050 screen, stretched). It gave me stable 20-25 fps with moderate-to-high details, and, surprisingly, quite pleasant visual experience (much better than higher, but non native 1024x768) - while at 1:1 native resolution, it was ~3fps at lowest settings.

Scratch the above, if it's impossible to run HomeworldSDL in such low resolution - it just was my first though, when I encountered more serious stuttering during really massive battle in skirmish with CPU.

I think it's possible to retain most of the old controls. There would be two Alts (A and the real thing) and some details about the camera. It's nice being able to connect/disconnect a mouse or a keyboard at any time, but if that fails, I could also post a separate build with unmodified controls.
Sounds nice (especially first option)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
homeworld, homeworldsdl