Posts: 51 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Southern California, U.S.A.
Hello Everyone,
I've noticed this behavior occasionally from my N900. I'm using the stock battery and it's not 1 year old yet. The initial symptoms are the N900 heating up (more than usual) for no reason. It's almost like some runaway process is happening. After about 1-2 hours I'll get the double 'doin' sound alerting a critically low battery. Soon after I get alerted of the battery being too low, the unit simply dies out and shuts off.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any root cause?

Last edited by chiques; 2010-08-25 at 12:49.

I have several times had a hildon process hang, drawing 100% CPU. Phone get really warm and runs quickly through the battery.

I can switch between desktops, make phone calls and use running programs.

But I can't start any applications from shortcuts on the desktop, and not interact with any widgets. It is possible to start applications using the menu system. It's just everything on the desktop that is shown but not accessible.

Killing the runaway task - SIGKILL, not SIGTERM - seems to solve the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to pwm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
When phone heats up you can start xterm and look for runaway processes with top command.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
When I used to have wifi set to "automatically switch to wlan when available", or something like that, wifi would occasionally start using large amounts of power for no reason. hasn't happened since I turned it off.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
When phone heats up you can start xterm and look for runaway processes with top command.
Yes, all applications work. I will try to look for run away processes. I will use

$top

as slender suggested.

The Following User Says Thank You to chiques For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
When I used to have wifi set to "automatically switch to wlan when available", or something like that, wifi would occasionally start using large amounts of power for no reason. hasn't happened since I turned it off.
I will take a look at the wifi also. Thanks!

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Islamabad, Pakistan
I have exactly the same problem described by Chiques, had flashed my phone also but this didn't solve the problem. My battery drains out within 4-5 hours without any use. Is this something with the processes running at that time or this is kind of a hardware issue?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
This is normal behavior for the N900. Please undervolt, and stay away from 800MHz+.

in winter, I think this is a "feature".

sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Islamabad, Pakistan
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
This is normal behavior for the N900. Please undervolt, and stay away from 800MHz+.
I didn't get it. I have had this phone for a couple of months now and this behaviour has just starting a couple of days back. I am still in the same area so frequency change doesn't apply here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Farhan For This Useful Post: