Notices

I've discovered a worrisome but juicy bug with the Notes application the April 2005 Nokia 770 operating system (don't know about 2006 version) .

I noticed that upon re-editing a .txt file, the gap between paragraphs kept getting bigger, and biggger, and bigger. Whenever I closed a file and re-entered it, the gaps would get widened by one line or more. So the Note application is steadily corrupting its own files.

In order to see what was happening, I looked at the file via BBEdit after editing it with Note. There I saw that Note seems to like to end lines with a <cr><lf> sequence (like DOS). If I re-examine the same file after viewing it and saving it in Note, I see that some of the <cr><lf>'s have been replaced by <cr><cr><lf>'s. Also, any <cr><cr><lf>'s from previous saves get replaced by <cr><cr><lf><cr><lf>

To reproduce this bug, start up the 770, open Note utility. Under the "format" menu, select "file format > plain text." With the virtual keyboard type
foo
bar.
Save the file to the flash card as "foo"
While still in Note, go to the Recent menu and select "foo"
you should see
foo

bar.

When I tried this a second time, it didn't misbehave, but if I added a space after "foo" and then deleted it and saved the file, the bug appeared.

Does this bug happen in the 2006 operating system? (I must wait to upgrade until a stable driver for bluetooth keyboards appears.)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Bugzilla is a great tool for reporting, and even more importantly, verifying bugs.

Public forums are probably easier for reporting bugs, but ultimately won't lead to any kind of resolution.

Thanks, Milhouse. This is a good reminder to put here because I and others who see this forum wouldn't know to report to bugzilla. It seems that it is a known bug and is being looked into. I see that we can encourage them to fix it by voting for this bug. I did that.

The Following User Says Thank You to tten For This Useful Post: