Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I vowed to myself that I would not reply to you but calling the software developers at maemo lazy while completely excusing Elop (as an "incidental traveller") for Nokias current state annoyed me enough to reply, just in case anybody believes your nonsense. The N9 software did not have two years. Meego was announced in February 2010 and pretty much destroyed in March 2011 by Elop. Elop took over in September 2010. The insufficient resources were Elop's doing he not only did not help its development but he cut resources while announcing the platform as pretty much dead. All this before the N9 was even released. It's funny that both you and Elop keep talking about a transition and the countless billions it's costing Nokia yet Meego had its budget cut and given less than a year to bear fruit. in fact it was announced dead before a device was even released, how could it
Even if we say 7yrs in development (maemo instead of meego) and the limited resources. You think it's not a valiant effort? You want me to believe this was lazy software engineers and not Elop? This is lazy compared to what? the 12yrs and unlimited resources MS had to create the sub par Windows phone that Elop adopted?
software optimization requires a great deal of effort. Would you like your video games to stutter and lag because of the lack of optimization? Lazy in the current context means unwilling go go deeper, to spend those extra hours to optimize your work so it looks
good. Its like a pretty painting in a crappy frame. Elop quickly realized that Nokia doesn't have it. The board realized Nokia doesn't have it. Its not in their DNA to make a software that can compete with Android and iPhone. Seven years is a century these days. I am curious to see what pr1.3 brings.

Originally Posted by gosh View Post
Now that Nokia is getting all this negative press, stocks are junk. How much sales will they loose because of that? I think that results for Q2 is going to be a disaster.
Oh my gosh ...

Sorry couldn't resist, just couldn't.

Lumiaman, why are you spamming this forum, seriously? Do you really think anybody's buying your nonsense, especially that we (Harmattan fans), unlike you, have serious matters to attend to, both here and in real life?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by specc View Post
LOL I'm sure browsing the web, sending e-mails, watching videos and listening to music works like a charm on Desqview/DOS while relaxing on the couch
It used to work, yes. That was before Windows 3.1. The only problem was the computer was bigger

Originally Posted by slvr32 View Post
From a couple of days ago...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...raded-to-junk/
That's pretty accurate IMO. I don't understand the last sentence though, about Nokia will eventually make it with WP. How can they be so sure? What is it Nokia eventually gets, that they haven't during the last 5 years? Apollo, yes, but more is needed.

That Wired article is off, quite a bit in a few areas. Criticizing Nokia for not going to WP7 sooner in response to the 2007 iPhone release, and I quote:

“In hindsight, Nokia should have responded to the iPhone more quickly. They didn’t make the leap of faith onto Windows Phone until 2011. Now they are suffering from their slow response.”
And they were supposed to jump onto WP7 earlier somehow? Also, the Samsung success is because they were able to change the hardware, differentiate themselves from everybody else due to differently performing (at their initial release) from the screen (AMOLED) to the processor (Exynos).

Nokia has not been able to do that yet. Their internals are dictated by Microsoft. That could be a blessing in disguise right now (wonder if they'd pair an OMAP3 to WP7) but it's a hindrance in setting themselves different. And the external case being different isn't always enough.

Nokia was complacent from 2002 - 2008, imho. Buying Qt was their initial response but that took a long time to bear fruit. Well... Elop killed that momentum with that burning platform memo. Belle, PureView were already in the wings. He should have just said nothing.

All that WP7 has done for Nokia was get sales in North America where they had not had carrier or store presence besides cheap flip phones in ages. They could have stayed with Symbian in all other areas - Asia, Africa and Europe.

That article is... just a bit off. Mention(s) of Maemo were also lacking. Symbian was old hat - I'll never purchase one - true... but Maemo wasn't. They just didn't know how to market that beyond us geeks here at TMO.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And they were supposed to jump onto WP7 earlier somehow?
That guy probably doesn't even know that Windows Phone didn't even exist on the market when Elop arrived at Nokia, and if he does know than I don't know how to read that than - they should've embraced Windows Mobile when Apple released the iPhone - in which case Nokia would be gone by now.

That being said, WP SDK was finished on September 16, Elop became a Nokia CEO 5 days later. He couldn't send the `burning platform` memo the first day he arrived, he would be kicked out right away even if the BoD wanted him to gut Nokia. It took some months to prepare the stage and strangle the opposition before his coup de grāce. With hindsight, I am totally convinced that it was his intention to turn Nokia into a MS subsidiary from the day one - no other logical explanation for some of the moves he made, especially the cancellation of S^4, reclamation of the Symbian Foundation (he couldn't pass them to Accenture without first owning them, nor he could completely kill the S^4 plan without it), returning the dubbed 'first MeeGo device' to the drawing board...

Oh, well, since we're talking here about the stock price, and the stock price being one of the best measures of a CEO performance in a publicly owned company - the performance of Elop is downright criminal. It has nothing to do with what system they've chosen to go with, I hypothesized they'd be going the way of the dodo even if they chose Android instead of WP, with the same execution.

Elop was brought in to fix exactly that - execution. And 'fix' it he did - he executed Nokia quite expertly. Bravo, sir!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Their internals are dictated by Microsoft. That could be a blessing in disguise right now
Or not... Qualcomm are predicting their processors will be in short supply soon because they can't keep up with demand.

Given the history between the two companies I doubt NOKIA will be a Qualcomm priority either.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Or not... Qualcomm are predicting their processors will be in short supply soon because they can't keep up with demand.
Hmm. Not that I'm challenging what you're saying, but source? I wonder if it's just the current set of chipsets or the upcoming dual-core ones that Apollo could use.

Given the history between the two companies I doubt NOKIA will be a Qualcomm priority either.
History, schmistory. Money is money and Daddy Warbucks (aka Microsoft) is in charge of this deal.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen