Notices

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/0...rom-gmail.html

well this is great...
was wondering if it would be somehow possible to integrate this feature into the n900.. pure win =].

and can we make calls by going to gmail.com through the N900 microb? the plugin is required?

sorry if this is a nub ques.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
We already have a google voice application, why would you have to do from a browser?

Originally Posted by alienhead View Post
We already have a google voice application, why would you have to do from a browser?
GVDailer requires a callback number.
The web interface will call directly from the web interface and talk directly from there. No phone required

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Very interesting indeed. Depending on the bandwidth needed for reasonable quality, this could be a serious contender to Skype indeed. Skype does a very good job under bad network conditions though, they've been in the business for longer already...

Is the Plugin API open ? I guess not. So unless Google opens up the source code to be integrated and compiled for Maemo, this will be a no-go. Think of similar to Skype Telepathy plugin.

Unless, of course, if it could made to work on top of the current google audio/video plugin in Maemo.

Anyone aware of unused functions in that one ? Eg. setting up a POTS call from the GV server and transcoding it to Google Talk audio, charging to the GV account ?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
GVDailer requires a callback number.
If you're talking about qgvdial, then I object you honour - that isn't true!

qgvdial has been able to dial out using your phone number or skype for some time now.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

No icon for me yet Today is only for US

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
If you're talking about qgvdial, then I object you honour - that isn't true!

qgvdial has been able to dial out using your phone number or skype for some time now.
yes, but won't it use your minutes if you are not using skype?
The new gmail Google voice will be completely free to US/CAN (for this year).. no minutes required

can already make gtalk calls and video calls from the n900. laggy as heck thought.

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
^ thats only to Gtalk and Gmail ID's.. not to phone no.. and thats not laggy..i use it over ...its fine..

This will be interesting if I can use this overseas where Google Voice does not forward to international phones. I can log on to Chat via wifi and someone can call my number and I can still pickup. This is not available today and the new features will enable that in the future.