Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
A SOFTWARE MARRIAGE?

Intel is expected to introduce new features for the Moblin operating system, give an update on its "Moorestown" platform due out in 2010, and discuss new tablet designs at its annual Intel Developer's Forum in San Francisco next week.

It could further extend its push into mobile by merging its Linux-based operating system with Nokia's, as part of the wide ranging co-operation pact the two had previously announced.

"That opportunity does present itself. We are open to it," Chandrasekher said.

Chandrasekher said the firms aim to bring Intel's Moblin and Nokia's Maemo software closer to each other and find synergies in software development.

"If I develop an application for Moblin, it should run on Maemo. If I develop an application for Maemo, it should run on Moblin," Chandrasekher said.

He said one of the biggest differences between two operating systems would then be their focus on different screen sizes -- Maemo for smaller and Moblin for larger

For the full article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...58F0MF20090916

wow! This was big for me, surprised its not big here...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Kinda tired of Intel this Intel that... They can keep their buggy x86 arch.

I'll wait to see what the dominating arch after x86 will be

ruskie, what do you think of Nokia merging the Maemo OS with Moblin? Good idea or no?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
The current Moblin UI incarnation is clearly targeting something like 6-10 inch displays, and quite much 'netbooks'. Maemo is obviously targeting smaller display sizes, i.e. pocketable devices.

I'm sure that under the hood there is lots of potential in merging SW elements - renderers, engines, decoders etc. - but as far as merging UI's, I wouldn't be too hopeful that one solution would fit all ideally. But then again, I would love to prove myself wrong on this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
It's not so big because it just makes sense, and has been hinted at before. They will still be entirely different UIs, but it makes sense to share components and aim for a common development platform (to some extend).

It is peculiar though, that this is coming up when Maemo is just on the verge of switching to Qt. Maemo 5 and Moblin are both built around Gtk and Clutter at the moment.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Maemo 5 would develop a life of its own, and at least for some time would coexist with the Qt branch of Maemo 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
I sorta think this has legs too. Especially once I heard Anssi say that Maemo wouldn't be on netbooks anytime soon, and the russian guy (forget his name) said Maemo would never exceed screens over 4.5-5". I don't see Nokia sticking with Windows 7 for the netbooks for much longer. A Moblin booklet would be cheap and if its compatible with Maemo, we get all sorts of games going on with apps crossing platforms. Good idea, iyam.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
christexaport well a common backend would certainly be nice. The problem comes with the UI. No matter how good you design a UI desigend for 6-10" displays will not work effectively on a 4" or smaller display.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Architecturally, Moblin and Maemo also serve two very different ends. Moblin is heavily targeted at Atom while Maemo targets ARM SoCs (TI SoCs in particular). These are two very different beasts with very different requirements for good battery life and good performance.

Both platforms are quite different in their goals and execution, so I can't see a merge happening at any point in the near future. Software compatibility, perhaps (although Intel's utterly bizarre move to Fedora makes that less feasible), but a platform merge, no.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I don't think it meant combing the OSes into one, just making sure things work on both right out of the box, as if they run the same apps. I'm all for it. I don't see Maemo on a laptop either. The scope of each complements the other. I think the two aligning can help, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: