Notices

Using the image files made for the psp dosbox I have ran Windows 98 and 95 in DosBox for the n810. Of course the mouse still does not work. So I installed Dosbox on debian in easy-deb and tried to run the image files (I boot easy-deb from a external card 4gb) but it just keeps on crashing or in other words disappears or the window exits. Is there a way to fix the cursor?

The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It seems we are so close, if the DosBox devs could have a look at our cursor problems...

Also another problem I did not mention which I think all of us know of is the FN keys. It worked every once in a blue moon but it does not work anymore.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
On Windows?

Cause I believe that is solved now on apps which use bios for keyboard input (most dos applications).

Simple yet vital question: did somebody try XKBD via Rubybox with the latest Dosbox build?
On my N800 I remember having issues with past releases (mostly crashes), now the XKBD doesn't crash, but most of the time doesn't work (on keypress nothing happens).
Issuing the command "xkbd" in the terminal opens a small keyboard that outputs casual letters (pressing A for example prints S, most of the time is like the last letter input remains stored in memory and it's repeated no matter which key is pressed).
Did I do something wrong?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey ukki!

I'm not either. Is it Dosbox crashing or RubyBox? Can you start RubyBox from terminal with 'rbox' and paste the error? I've seen one Ruby crash error with the new packages. Ruby code shouldn't crash the interpreter, but I bet I can avoid triggering that bug. But this seems unrelated to that.
Okay. It seems that somehow it's having a problem with an STD. I swear though, my tablet never touched her! *lol*

So here's the log of running directly from Dosbox:
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/user/apps/DOSBox 0.73 Preferences.txt
ALSA lib seq.c:935snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ hw
ALSA:Can't open sequencer
MIDI:Opened device:none
Even though it's showing those errors, Dosbox pushes through this and continues on without crashing.

Here's the log of running the same file piped through Rubybox first:
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/user/.rubybox/Rogues/angband.conf
ALSA lib seq.c:935snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ hw
ALSA:Can't open sequencer
MIDI:Opened device:none
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): St9bad_alloc
Aborted
killall: dosboxbin: no process killed
killall: xkbd: no process killed
killall: dosboxbin: no process killed
killall: dosbox: no process killed
So yeah, doesn't make any sense really on why your Rubybox gives up so easily on these errors when Dosbox doesn't seem to mind them.

Anyway, I'm just reporting off on this. Ukki, it's no big deal if you look into it or not.

Empire:
Make sure in the advance settings that you have
sdl autolock set to false
Also, you need to find the correct frame skip and cycle speed.
If you push Dosbox too hard you'll end up getting cursor weirdness on the screen.
But if you ask me, you probably shouldn't waste any more time on this than what you have already put into it.

JustNick:
Read up on Ukki's directions about XKBD.
RubyBox wiki

From the main menu, after registering your nickname and address, it's:
Download
XKBD Layouts from the drop down menu
Download

Should be easy enough to follow.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): St9bad_alloc
Aborted
Read that error as "Out of memory". You need to free memory, add swap, or reduce DOSBox memory consumption (give the virtual machine less memory).

For the next version I'm considering undefining USE_FULL_TLB (will help with memory usage but may introduce other bugs according to docs/PORTING) and profiling. But it won't happen this week.

I don't know what to do about the mouse issues. Other than suggesting to play with the mouse acceleration settings in Windows, since mouse works for me in QBASIC.

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-06-14 at 21:14.

That's what I already did and beside Dosbox 0.73 doesn't seem to have a default xkbd...
I tried different layouts, every one of which is correctly loaded when Dosbox is launched via Rubybox, but xkbd doesn't seem to work as it would be supposed to, it's just like symbols (or functions like enter, space or backspace) are randomly generated or even completely ignored at key press.

wait when I put repository on my N810 (diablo) I dont find rubybox and when I try to install the deb it says it needs the ruby-maemo package. Where am I suppose to get that?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay JustNick. Not sure what's happening on your end.

You should be looking at a keyboard that looks something like this.

If not, read everything that Ukki says on his webpage.

Javispedro, I'll look into freeing up more space to see if that does anything. Thanks!