Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Isn't the "stuttering" of the video caused by the unability to save everything on time?
No, it is related to the tracker starting at the same time you start the recording, processes priorities and the memory bus bandwidth. See how is stuttering fixed in cssu to get an idea.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
No, it is related to the tracker starting at the same time you start the recording, processes priorities and the memory bus bandwidth. See how is stuttering fixed in cssu to get an idea.
Though video isn't as smooth as it's e.g. on N9. When recording with OC it seems to be more smooth, but it might be a placebo effect.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
2. And what if both swaps are enabled (swapset startup)
Then user is wasting space for 2nd swap, without any additional (real) benefits. Additionally, said user doubles loss, due to getting rid of ability to have one physical storage device *without* swap writes to it

3. Why not? Won't it improve the overall performance while recording?
Performance of whole device (as usual, with higher CPU speed) - but, it's purely theoretical gain, as you're hardly doing other things while recording. That said, I always use 500-900 limits, so I may be missing some "lagging fun" at lower frequencies.

Isn't the "stuttering" of the video caused by the unability to save everything on time?
Yes, but it is related to either slowdowns of writing to storage medium, or what FMG said - in either case, it's not about CPU speed (which, even at 500 mhz, is able to generate writes for much higher speeds, than our flash storage media will ever allow).
---

Theoretically, one could gain better speeds of writing by using real "spinning disks" HDD connected via USB mass storage mode. Hoever, hostmode seems to have max ~4 MB/s write speed (due to some imperfections in hostmode implementation), which makes WiFi our fastest connection with the world (if we skip N900 as USB client + USB networking scenario, which is even faster).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-07-13 at 12:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Also, putting the device in offline mode seems to reduce recording stutter for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
In 2G/Wifi mode and video set to 1280x720 the display lags a little here but playback is fine. In offline mode the screen will freeze every few seconds. Saving to external mmc card.

Btw, the 1280 option is pretty amazing and the jelly effect is much less than what you would expect.

The Following User Says Thank You to spaak74 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Then user is wasting space for 2nd swap, without any additional (real) benefits. Additionally, said user doubles loss, due to getting rid of ability to have one physical storage device *without* swap writes to it

Performance of whole device (as usual, with higher CPU speed) - but, it's purely theoretical gain, as you're hardly doing other things while recording. That said, I always use 500-900 limits, so I may be missing some "lagging fun" at lower frequencies.

Yes, but it is related to either slowdowns of writing to storage medium, or what FMG said - in either case, it's not about CPU speed (which, even at 500 mhz, is able to generate writes for much higher speeds, than our flash storage media will ever allow).
---

Theoretically, one could gain better speeds of writing by using real "spinning disks" HDD connected via USB mass storage mode. Hoever, hostmode seems to have max ~4 MB/s write speed (due to some imperfections in hostmode implementation), which makes WiFi our fastest connection with the world (if we skip N900 as USB client + USB networking scenario, which is even faster).

/Estel
1. Is there any way to say swapset to use internal swap for defrag only?
2. So you overclock 250-600 recording seemed to stutter more than 250-805 or 250-900
3. So why does copying 900 MB take so long on N900 and much quicker on desktop Linux? RAM thing?

1. Is there any way to say swapset to use internal swap for defrag only?
No idea, I'm using ereswap (surprise, surprise...)

2. So you overclock 250-600 recording seemed to stutter more than 250-805 or 250-900
Interesting, is it perfectly reproducible? Define "more" and "less" in this case?

3. So why does copying 900 MB take so long on N900 and much quicker on desktop Linux? RAM thing?
I would say that it's because our eMMC flash burst write is much slower than spinning-disks HDD (or modern SSD) one.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Interesting, is it perfectly reproducible? Define "more" and "less" in this case?
Just loose feeling might be placebo.

Tags
camera-ui, nokia n900