Just starting development for Maemo; I must confess my background is with Visual Studio/COM/DirectX so I'm far more accustomed to single click IDE installs and not seeing underlying makefiles!

Got the Scratchbox environment installed mit Xephyr under Ubuntu and I can cross-compile simple applications. Going through simple GTK and maemo tutorials and all seems fairly spiffing.

Questions:
1) Any advice on IDEs available for this cross-compilation setup. At the moment I'm editing source files in nano, editing .desktop files in nano, compiling from the command line and moving the files into their respective directories. This seems rather convoluted. What IDEs are you guys using out there and can you provide (semi-)step-by-step guides on any particulars of installing and setting up these IDEs.

2) Switching from SDK_X86 to SDK_ARMEL and vice-versa Sratchbox occasionally complains "sb-conf: You must close your other Scratchbox sessions first". Short of killing the open process (which is what I'm doing atm) - is there a more elegant method for shutting down one session so as to switch to the other?

3) I'm sure I'll think of more questions - is there a dev-specific forum out there for tablets?

At the moment I have a few ideas for simple apps and device drivers I'd like working on the tablets so any advice is appreciated. I also wouldn't mind learning to port and hildonize a couple of emulators.

The Following User Says Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I would also be interested in any IDEs too. I am from the same background (although now moved onto C#, java) so I like not having to get down and dirty with the build process.
Bit of a shock to the system going back to C!

Your way is less convoluted than mine, I actually edit my files on the mac and send them back and forwards between the environment (linux running in a VM).

Some nice IDE would be great (or even eclipse if that was all there was)