good point.. need to have a way to shut it off. I've added a new file to the ZIP archive, sms-quit.sh.

Use this to shut the script down:
Code:
sh /usr/sbin/sms-quit.sh
To confirm that it's closed:
Code:
ps | grep "sms.py"

allright, i'll see if ican get it to work.

is there a possibility that when you sms the code or when the sim is changed, it will take photo's from front and rear camera so we might be able to get a headshot of the guy who's stolen your phone and sent it email or mms. and if you slide open the keyboard?

i know there is aprogram called "i am here" which already does this, but unfortunatly it doesn't work anymore..

anyway, just to make sure i did everything right.

this is what i have done so far: (i filled in the XXXXXX in banana)

now i rebooted and restarted xterminal

is this correct?

Last edited by AlexV12; 2010-08-18 at 12:59.

yea, that's correct so far. Also, do chmod on sms-quit.sh so that you can run that later.

After a reboot, run: ps | grep "sms.py"

If you see python /usr/sbin/sms.py --listen..., then it's working.

This is when you can send yourself a text message with your alert code and the script will text back with info. You should see the GPS icon up in the status bar if it's working.

I'll look into the front cam taking pics when the keyboard slides open. Not sure about it though, because the image quality is so bad.

when i run: ps | grep "sms.py" i get:

1577 root [allot of spaces] 2088 S [allot of spaces] grep sms.py

What happens when you run:

python /usr/sbin/sms.py --sendinfo phone_number 120 000 "alert"
(replace phone_number with your #)

This looks great, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Haven't delved too deeply into it but it would be great if it had the following:

The ability to change the 'home' phone number via the alert message, as it may be that your 'home' phone number may change when you no longer have access to the N900. So an SMS like: "$ALERT_CODE 0123456789" will send the info to 0123456789. If you don't supply a trailing number, it should use the stored 'home' phone number.

With regard to taking a picture via the front camera, the best way would probably be to automatically take a picture if the IMEI isn't the valid one and a call has just finished. Hopefully the thief will be in the process of moving the phone away from their head so it'll catch a half decent picture of them.

Also, I find that it takes a ridiculous amount of time (like 5-15 minutes) for my GPS to get a lock, does the script take this into account?

The only issue I see is if the thief decides to wipe the OS, but I don't think the average crim is going to be bothered enough to do that, probably too busy looking through all your photo's and music!

But good work! Even if it saves just one N900 from the crack heads then it has to be worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny_Jim For This Useful Post:
Nice work;
btw, i would replace
VALID_IMSI=XXXXXXXXXXX
by
VALID_IMSI=`dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.phone.SIM /com/nokia/phone/SIM Phone.Sim.get_imsi | head -2 | tail -1 | tr -s '"' ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 3`

Erm, wouldn't that mean that the IMSI is always valid?

Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
This looks great, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Haven't delved too deeply into it but it would be great if it had the following:

The ability to change the 'home' phone number via the alert message, as it may be that your 'home' phone number may change when you no longer have access to the N900. So an SMS like: "$ALERT_CODE 0123456789" will send the info to 0123456789. If you don't supply a trailing number, it should use the stored 'home' phone number.

With regard to taking a picture via the front camera, the best way would probably be to automatically take a picture if the IMEI isn't the valid one and a call has just finished. Hopefully the thief will be in the process of moving the phone away from their head so it'll catch a half decent picture of them.

Also, I find that it takes a ridiculous amount of time (like 5-15 minutes) for my GPS to get a lock, does the script take this into account?

The only issue I see is if the thief decides to wipe the OS, but I don't think the average crim is going to be bothered enough to do that, probably too busy looking through all your photo's and music!

But good work! Even if it saves just one N900 from the crack heads then it has to be worth it.
Hi Sonny, thanks for your input.

The 'home' number is irrelevant when alert mode is activated via text. The information will be replied back to the number that sent the alert.

The GPS lock should be faster because I only require 3+ satellites to be locked on. Anyway, you'll be fine since the script waits for the GPS to provide a coordinate before sending a text.

Finally, I don't think most phone thieves are advanced enough to flash rootfs. I have a good story about that. The guy who stole my phone took a full picture of himself in the mirror and had the bright idea to share it to my pixelpipe account lol. I had a good laugh when it popped up on my facebook page. I got his comcast IP address from pixelpipe, but my detective wasn't too advanced either, and never did get subscriber information from comcast.

Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
Erm, wouldn't that mean that the IMSI is always valid?
Yea, it does. Thanks for the advice, eti, but that would never trigger an invalid sim card situation.