Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
I've written up some quick and dirty docs on using ofono with your N900:

http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba/Ofono

It works, but you'll need to carry around a laptop with you if you want to make calls.

Last edited by jebba; 2010-01-06 at 03:30.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Thanks for this. Have you looked into whether ofono can be built with scratchbox to run on the device itself?

Graham

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
Thanks for this. Have you looked into whether ofono can be built with scratchbox to run on the device itself?
Yes. I've tried it with Fedora 12 on the device and it runs, but haven't communicated with the modem...

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
So what does ofono do? Wrap AT commands to send to the modem device?

The question is really, what does Nokia use, and can we hook into that rather than needing to install more sw, etc. Subtle hint to any Nokians listening, we should really be able to write our own phone apps, or at least wrap the provided functionality.

BTW well done, nice to see this info

I can't help thinking that some combination of pnatd and socat could help run the whole thing on the device.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
I can't help thinking that some combination of pnatd and socat could help run the whole thing on the device.
Yes, I believe so. Won't have a chance to work on it for a couple weeks now, but hack away!

This is now working *directly on the device* so you don't need to carry your laptop around to make calls!

Details updated on wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba/Ofono

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just saw this thread on the mailing lists... <jaw drops>

Congratulations all!

The telephony stack was the biggest thing in my mind standing between us and alternative OSes booting on the N900...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I cant find it on the extras, nor extras-devel repository. Is it still available?

I see it in extras-devel. It probably isn't installable with HAM, so you have to use apt-get.