Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Finally some action in this thread mission completed! I will now withdrawal. Don't make me comeback here

Neo9001 sounds cool. But neo1000 sounds awsome!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-10-27 at 17:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Finally some action in this thread mission completed!

Neo9001 sounds cool. But neo1000 sounds awsome!
Maybe Neo900 Mk2 ?

I would like to see Pyra specs(SoC, screen) in custom case with sliding keyboard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
Maybe Neo900 Mk2 ?

I would like to see Pyra specs(SoC, screen) in custom case with sliding keyboard.
"Neo900" moniker was an unparalleled stroke of genius. For Step2 (the internal project codename) we got no official name yet 1). What we got are ideas about e.g. which SoC to use, no surprise the OMAP5 used also in Pyra is top of rank on our list of candidates.
KBD not as clear yet, we might go innovative if somebody comes up with something great. For screen the choices are not as limited as with a lot of other subsystems. And for digitizer/touchpad: I'm a fanatic fan of Stantum which are doing lots of awesome stuff

/j
1) The name of the Company is Neo900 UG, so I wouldn't feel surprised when the device is called [Brand:] Neo900 [Device:] Step2
Attached Images

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-27 at 18:29.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Brilliant all around...got my continued attention...(as if you didn't have it before )

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-10-27 at 18:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
I have different feelings about the screen.
While the N900 screen could be a tad bigger, I have no interest whatsoever in anything bigger than 4".
I would even draw my limit at the N9's size, which is 3.7", IIRC.
So the Pyra screen (will be around 5") is a no-go for me when it comes to equipping a phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Yup I cannot disagree... it is a pretty penny...
But it is worth it on soooo many fronts.
Here is my guestimate.
There are a whole world of people who would love a phone/ computer with less closed bits, more private, more secure, more hackable, more...um flexible all around.
The price ...at the moment is a hurdle for many...
New kid on the block syndrome as well...

But here is my take....

-Just wait until there are the 300+ units ....300+ of the lil' desirable devils runnin' around....

-Just wait until you, your neighbours...co-workers and peers see the the reviews...sees them in action...

-And as I have said...if my (still in use almost a decade later) n8x0's and my (almost 5 yr old partially closed and crippled) n900 can still outperform in some areas what other new models can't do...then how long can you guess at the lifespan of a well thought out device and os?
5-10?
maybe less than ten...maybe more with upgrades ...?
THAT makes it worth it ...
I'm not interested in buying a new smartphone every 2nd or 3rd year....THAT IS the price of the neo!
Having to buy into planned corporate obsolescence? Me? Not interested.

Just wait for the 2nd and 3rd runs...it'll get cheaper...the more people "see" them.
It may never be as popular as droid, M$, or iphone....
On the other hand ...
It may ...and the philosophy may take the world by storm...

Sadly alot of people have little in the way of vision or imagination...let alone the ability to speculate ahead in time.
But that and other factors just make it easier for the neo...
The neo....this kind of device...is exactly what is needed at exactly the right point in time. Between what the competition is offering and how they are closing things up (no root ability in the future for android?!?!) and making a mess of what advantage they got (bendgate and the recalled ios) ....the alternative choice being what? a win phone? the tizen (teasin' ) hope? A Jolla with an increasingly dissatisfied user base of people who just want a new battery ...only to find they have to buy a whole new phone just to get the battery? .. don't forget all the coat-tail riding innovation at a snail pace...toss in a tablespoon of edward snowden and a pinch of Assange ...and voila!
The stars are in perfect alignment.
Never a better time.
I'd almost hazard the pinky of god it/ her/ hisself was at work just to make the climate favourable and the sun shine a little warmer just for the neo

there we go....zealotry rant ended for the day
I agree on your positive comments, but I am not as optimistic about the Neo900 taking the world by storm.

I think, fundamentally, people don't give a crap. They don't seem to care about anything. Especially the newer generations.

To me Neo900 is a device which is created by a few for a very (relatively speaking) reduced community of people who want something very specific. That's not a bad thing. I don't think the goal of the Neo900 is to be a commercial success, but just to be a successful project and put the finished product, according to specifications, in the hands of those who want it.

To be honest, if the Neo900 were a commercial success and entered the mainstream, I would start worrying. It's when mainstream success and commercial profits start being a factor that the integrity of any project starts being secondary. We don't need a large user base of mor.ons clamoring for integrated facebook and twitter.

BTW, I wasn't aware the Jolla's battery was not user replaceable. How illogical...

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-27 at 18:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
And we got some working OS, actually even a few ones, some of them targeted at high security for the managers and politically active people (and of course for the average Joe interested in really good security/privacy).
Interesting that CryptoCult link but as far as can tell it's not an OS but a suite of applications. How does this relate to the Neo900 (or its successor)? Is someone going to build an OS around these applications or is the plan to run them under Replicant? I couldn't find any sign that they are open source (which should also be a concern for the privacy-minded individual).

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Interesting that CryptoCult link but as far as can tell it's not an OS but a suite of applications. How does this relate to the Neo900 (or its successor)? Is someone going to build an OS around these applications or is the plan to run them under Replicant? I couldn't find any sign that they are open source (which should also be a concern for the privacy-minded individual).
The CircleTech[R] guys contacted us and asked for cooperation, which of course we will do as far as we can. Sure that's not a complete OS, but at least it has deep impact on the system config, e.g. for "encrypted storage" I'd guess. There been a few of those requests, software houses engaged into secure phone topic at large are well aware about Neo900 and its superiority regarding immanent system security by hw design.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-27 at 19:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
@ malf
ya ..chat with one suffering... have a chitty-chat with Dave...hehe..he'll tell you all about his battery-induced jolla-joy 1st hand.

I'm in agreement concerning the screen size.
as example (as I'm wont to go on about... ) ...the n8x0 models had the goldilocks screen size. Not too small ...not too big.

I am in total disagreement tho concerning who the device is meant for.
It really is all in the pitch.
For example over here in Canada...the biggest adverts are naturally ('merican driven type advertizing) watch the ford or gm ones for their trucks...very slick. Completely aiming at as wide an audience as possible using every possible angle and tactic.
Few actually scrutinize the ads tho.
for base example...
1- ad stating truck model has just been released.
2- statement calling truck..."voted #1 in (whatever) category".
or...
statement calling truck ..."voted #1 truck of the year"
3- lotta talk about how great and optimized it is..
4- flashy scenes showing how great your life will be with it.
5- The method works and consequently ... It sells.

the important issues are ...how was the vehicle voted #1 anything for the year when it was just released? And all that being the case ...why in less than 2 years after the latest model release are they recalling them for safety concerns?
It Doesn't matter...they keep using the same ad tactics because they work.
Another more direct example is...when selling any of my work to a customer..."If I say here you go...this is it...the money please ...have a nice day..." ..9 times out of 10 I won't get a sale.
People want a story...particularly the story surrounding that piece...they want to see ..to understand it...they want to be inside my head....so I explain the process, explain the multi-layered meanings..give the piece life through a holistic view ...allowing others to see more..not just concerning the piece in question...but all around them as well. People want to buy escape...or want to buy your life...buy you....or immerse themselves in something else other than themselves...they are really trying to figure out if investing in you...is investing in something "real"..."uncorruptable" ..."true"...

It really is about selling someone else's lifestyle...Not caring anymore? naw...They just don't want to be themselves...they want to be someone else...so ....sell them how much more cool, smart, savvy, brilliant, far ahead of the "now" crowd...how their lives will be better...(I know for myself since I picked up a N.I.T. years ago...I think it has been the best thing in the world ...changed my life...I hear the same thing from others too..)
Sooo....
.pitch...pitch...pitch

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-10-27 at 19:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Exactly.
The populace desire what is incrementally and experimentally being fed to them. The more they get a taste ...the more they want.
Yes the n900 and neo aren't mainstream ease-of-use devices with "bling-age" ...
but it really is about the pitch.

Aim at an intellectually privileged few ...and we'll get just that.
AND WE MUST STOP HAM-STRINGING OURSELVES BY SAYING OUR DEVICES ARE FOR AN ELITE FEW WHO CAN UNDERSTAND THEM. Sure there is a learning curve in some cases ...but it is only neurosurgery or rocket science...if the individual desires that much depth and complexity from their device...
Fact is ...saying to the world ..."We stand apart...and most will not "get" where we are coming from...."
Will only succeed in a very wasteful, unproductive, and unnecessary form of self-imposed alienation.
This view and statement is not new...it isn't a privilege only of this community...it is prevalent in the world.
It automatically shuts out, is non-inclusive, does no illumination or education. And personally am not interested in it...it just breeds frustration on both sides of the illusory fence.

Aim at vid. bites highlighting security, privacy, flexibility, longevity long term affordability and a whack more "-ity's" and it'll sell to the public.
You tell Joe who works at the factory ...or Phil the waiter ...or Jean who works at the mall...that the neo is a superior device with the customer in mind ...that will...in the long haul...SAVE them money (instead of having little choice but buying a new smartphone every few years through planned obsolescence) ...and yeah...you've sold 'em.
No one....especially lower-income earners want to (or more bluntly ...can afford to) simply throw money out the window all the time...

For example ...when I was younger ..I was alot poorer... and of course I wanted what everyone else had ...what everyone else wanted and what everyone else was being pitched....BUT more than anything... I bought "smart" ...even if...at the time the purchase was more expensive than other alternatives ...I bought with the intent of having a superior product that would have a longer lifespan...the neo is no different.

Pitch it right...pitch it smart and alot of people will be lining up for one.
The thing is that this is not how large scale consumerism works. People are mostly enticed into buying specific products by their environment. Their friends, coworkers, families, etc.

The herd mentality is difficult to overcome. The only reason Android has been so successful in carving a niche into the overwhelmingly Apple dominated landscape of smartphones a few years ago is due to the fact Google is a huge company, and because they have created something which, both superficially, and also regarding matters duch as privacy and how user data is viewed, is almost an exact carbon copy.

Most people couldn,t give a crap about open source, privacy, ability to develop software using an open platform with no ad-hoc mobile-specific closed libraries, etc.

Take the physical keyboard, for example. Most people will frown at the sight of one now. Yet, I consider its absence a very limiting shortcoming. Especially on a 3.5 inch screen device (which incidentally is another of the things people will not be happy with in general, especially looking at current trends to produce even larger screens).

Most people just want a phone that is pretty and will allow them to communicate with their friends without fuss. They don't want power and flexibility. They want convenience. An easy product to chew on in their digital trough for the next 2 years (or until one of their coworkers or acquaintances shows up with a newer, shinier, phone, with some gimmicky feature their lizzard brain finds too hard to resist).

Like sulu said, we are not unit vectors, so it's alright.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!