Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Anybody knows (has tried) if the N900 can be setup to act as an WiFi access point ? I'm thinking somewhere along the JaikuSpot lines, with the added ability to run servers on the device as well.

It would be great if my camera would push photos via eye-fi to the N900 which would receive them, resize, adjust, geotag via the GPS chip and store for later upload to a web service. N900 would also act as backup/expanded memory for the originals.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, this will work, its just that someone has to package the necessary commands (the networking) in a script, and there is no GUI for such either. The question has been asked various times, and there is interest for this feature.

Bear in mind JoikuSpot, and equivalent tools, doesn't use AP mode; it uses ad-hoc or infrastructure. It doesn't allow PSM (power saving mode). This is something you'll really want, or you're gonna drain the battery quickly. Just saying.

Whether Nokia N900 supports AP mode is rather question of driver, and I don't know which chipset is used for WiFi.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Whether Nokia N900 supports AP mode is rather question of driver, and I don't know which chipset is used for WiFi.
I was reffering to the driver, yes. Anybody managed to get N800, N810 or the 770 in AP mode ?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
I was reffering to the driver, yes. Anybody managed to get N800, N810 or the 770 in AP mode ?
There have been discussions about this in the past on these fora and from what I can recall the answer boiled down to "not possible" (unless you were planning on re-writing the wifi driver from scratch since I believe it's still one of the closed source components on the N8x0 devices). Do some seaching around, but I think the conclusion was to use Adhoc mode...

So is there now a packaged / GUIed app that allows computers to connect to the N900 (in adhoc mode I guess) and access the net via its 3G connection? (like WMWifiRouter or aNetShare)

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
If you search, you'll see that there is a bug that won't let the wifi adapter go into AP mode

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30916

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Just out of curiosity (don't have an N900 yet), does the wifi driver use the generic IEEE 802.11 networking stack (mac80211) of the Linux kernel? If so, AP mode should be possible, you could for example use hostapd, see here http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Mac80...s_Access_Point

Even just in adhoc, it could really save the day in some situations...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There are instructions in this thread for making the N900 into a mobile hotspot. However, it needs a custom kernel, so it isn't for the "faint of heart"

Also joikuspot announced that they are going to release a version for the N900 in the "first quarter 2010".

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
There are instructions in this thread for making the N900 into a mobile hotspot. However, it needs a custom kernel, so it isn't for the "faint of heart"
Not for me (yet) then

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Also joikuspot announced that they are going to release a version for the N900 in the "first quarter 2010".
Great news, thanks

Kinda crap to tie the license (from their website) to IMSI though IMEI I understand but I'd like to be able to swap SIMs

Tags
access point, eye-fi, joikuspot, wifi