Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
How about a bluetooth earpiece?
Am sure there is a list somewhere that is compatible with these tablet.
I just tried using a bluetooth headset! LOVE IT!

It's really easy to setup (discover and pair the device). When the phone rings, I just have to press the button on the ear-piece (or optionally the on-screen button) and it'll answer or drop the call (just like a cellular mobile). For long conversations, or if I'm walking around with the tablet locked in my pocket, this is such a great feature!

It basically pipes all of the sound from the tablet over the headset, so I turned off the system sound ('swooshing' when opening/closing windows) to prevent the bluetooth device to continually activate and deactivate for simple use.

It would be *ideal* if it treated the headset as a separate audio device and RTCOMM only piped its audio to it. This would allow regular sounds to come out over the tablets speakers without having to choose one or the other. It's not a bad trade off, though as I'm generally only doing one thing at a time.

YARR!
}:^)~

Senorita Corrupt

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I just tried using a bluetooth headset! LOVE IT!

It's really easy to setup (discover and pair the device). When the phone rings, I just have to press the button on the ear-piece (or optionally the on-screen button) and it'll answer or drop the call (just like a cellular mobile). For long conversations, or if I'm walking around with the tablet locked in my pocket, this is such a great feature!

It basically pipes all of the sound from the tablet over the headset, so I turned off the system sound ('swooshing' when opening/closing windows) to prevent the bluetooth device to continually activate and deactivate for simple use.

It would be *ideal* if it treated the headset as a separate audio device and RTCOMM only piped its audio to it. This would allow regular sounds to come out over the tablets speakers without having to choose one or the other. It's not a bad trade off, though as I'm generally only doing one thing at a time.

YARR!

Senorita Corrupt

Which blue-tooth work for you?
Can I just go to the store and pick up any blue-tooth earpieces?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
When I started this thread I did not yet have an N810. I was just looking into my options for a "semi-mobile" phone. After having it for a month along with a $60 years worth of unlimited calls in the US and Canada I have got to tell you that I'm loving it!

This being my first wifi device, I'm slowly finding out that there's open wifi literally everywhere! You pull into a neighborhood and right off the bat you pick up 5 different networks 2 or 3 of which usually open. Apartment complexes are even better, more open and stronger signals.

I've read that people have trouble using skype with touch tone operated menu systems. I have not had the slightest bit of trouble so I dont understand that issue at all.

Now If I were to get a cell capable phone in 1-2 year future it would be the iphone because apparently you can put skype on the iphone now. I'd just get a cheap cell plan and fill in the blanks with skype when ive got wifi

Calls are usually clear but I've noticed that the call quilty severely drops when the wifi signal strength isnt that good but thats to be expected.

Last edited by sunnydips; 2009-04-17 at 08:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydips For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Which blue-tooth work for you?
Can I just go to the store and pick up any blue-tooth earpieces?
I can't remember the version I tried, but any bluetooth headset should work as the protocol is standardised.

YARR!
TrueCorrupt

I have a small problem with using the N810 as a phone with RTCOMM. If the phone app is not open or if it's sleeping when I receive a call, upon answering the call, the user can hear me but I cannot hear them. They must call back when the client is open for normal conversation.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a workaround for this problem?

YARR!
HulloCapt'n