Notices

I've been using Anki to learn Japanese for a little over a year now, but I'm getting rather tired of being bound to my heavy laptop just for the sake of doing my repetitions. I recently pre-ordered a N900 partly for the reason of being able to run Anki on the road, but I see that there doesn't seem to be any release of it for the Maemo 5 and Nokia N900. Does anyone know if this is being worked on or if it will come in the near future? It's a great piece of software that would be a great benefit to the N900's (currently rather meager) repository.

Originally Posted by Koeus View Post
I've been using Anki to learn Japanese for a little over a year now, but I'm getting rather tired of being bound to my heavy laptop just for the sake of doing my repetitions. I recently pre-ordered a N900 partly for the reason of being able to run Anki on the road, but I see that there doesn't seem to be any release of it for the Maemo 5 and Nokia N900. Does anyone know if this is being worked on or if it will come in the near future? It's a great piece of software that would be a great benefit to the N900's (currently rather meager) repository.
I've used Anki for Japanese too. My solution: rdp/vnc to my home server. Probably not an ideal solution, but easy if you have a home server. Besides, running Anki from the same source makes it possible to continue on a set i've already started but not finished. Perfect for 40 minute public transport rides to/from campus.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
There's a port of Anki for the N800/N810 (http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/Anki%20on%20Maemo). Why don't you ask them if they'd do a version for the N900. You can run it directly from the source (it must be Python), so you could also try downloading the source and running it--it might work.

The Following User Says Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by privjet View Post
I've used Anki for Japanese too. My solution: rdp/vnc to my home server. Probably not an ideal solution, but easy if you have a home server. Besides, running Anki from the same source makes it possible to continue on a set i've already started but not finished. Perfect for 40 minute public transport rides to/from campus.
Unfortunately I don't have a home server, so that's gonna be a bit tricky until I do. Good idea though. Hopefully there'll be an Anki release not too soon though ^^

Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
There's a port of Anki for the N800/N810 (http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/Anki%20on%20Maemo). Why don't you ask them if they'd do a version for the N900. You can run it directly from the source (it must be Python), so you could also try downloading the source and running it--it might work.
Yeah, I saw that there's a release for the OS2008, but there hasn't been any work on that since January this year, so it seems a bit dead. Writing this post here was my way of asking them, since I couldn't find a way to get in contact with the people behind the project; though perhaps I just didn't look well enough. I'm still really new in this business (that is, the engaged side of open source, I've been on the using side for very long), so I'm not sure how to go about it. Nevermind, found the forum XD

And yes, it is using Python, so simply running the source might work. I'll have to give it a try, though to be honest I have no idea how to do it. I'm an avid Windows user (though I don't really want to), and while I've got Ubuntu on dual boot, unfortunately I haven't come around to learning Linux properly (or at all) - I'm hoping the N900 will give me the proper kick in the butt that I need to get started with that. I'm sure there's plenty of guides out there on how to compile and run source, but nonetheless, any tips and pointers are very welcome to get me on my way. Still have to wait for the phone to arrive though, which will probably take a month since Sweden is never prioritised when it comes to new releases >.<

Last edited by Koeus; 2009-12-02 at 00:11.

How about mnemosyne? It's also a spaced repetition program based on supermemo. And best of all it's ported to maemo

http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2009/0...yne-for-maemo/

http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

Originally Posted by arono View Post
How about mnemosyne? It's also a spaced repetition program based on supermemo. And best of all it's ported to maemo
The Maemo version looks great, only one (rather major) drawback for us long term Anki users: You can't import and use Anki decks with mnemosyne. When you have a deck of 2000+ cards, you're not that keen on making an entirely new one from scratch >.<

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
I agree that Anki would be a very welcome addition to the repository.
I personally have used a few different SRS's and have really come to love Anki over time - I now prefer it to Mnemosyne - but it is probably just personal preference.

I did have a quick go at downloading and running the source. It was a random choice late one night, so I didn't follow it through too well. Basically I think we also need to install some pyqt4 bindings, and possibly some other packages before it'll do much.

I would have another look, but unfortunately I've packaged the N900 up for it's trip to the carrousel - err.. I mean to get repaired. I'm also very much a beginner when it comes to Linux development and Python, so I might be talking rubbish.

Originally Posted by Koeus View Post
The Maemo version looks great, only one (rather major) drawback for us long term Anki users: You can't import and use Anki decks with mnemosyne. When you have a deck of 2000+ cards, you're not that keen on making an entirely new one from scratch >.<
Ooops forgot about that. Anki seems to have much more features, definitely testing that.

edit:
wow I think you converted me to anki

Last edited by arono; 2009-12-02 at 06:34.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Are there enough similarities in the two deck formats to write a converter? Assuming neither is in a binary format, I might be able to hack something together if I could get my hands on a sample deck from each program.

Originally Posted by Ads View Post
I did have a quick go at downloading and running the source. It was a random choice late one night, so I didn't follow it through too well. Basically I think we also need to install some pyqt4 bindings, and possibly some other packages before it'll do much.
I checked out the official Anki forum (well, Google discussion group to be precise), and found the following short thread: http://groups.google.com/group/ankis...ed6e4e2c95a7d6. It says "it will most probably be able to run anki out of the box from the
command line, if you install python2.5-qt-* and download/unpack the
anki source, but new packages for maemo 5 will need to be made for
easy installation from the application manager."

So yes, installing Python first would be required, but apparently it ought to work after that. It'd be great if you could try it

Originally Posted by arono View Post
Ooops forgot about that. Anki seems to have much more features, definitely testing that.

edit:
wow I think you converted me to anki
Glad to be of service ^^

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Are there enough similarities in the two deck formats to write a converter? Assuming neither is in a binary format, I might be able to hack something together if I could get my hands on a sample deck from each program.
I googled around for the possibility of converting an Anki deck to Mnemosyne, but couldn't really find any info on it. I remember I did read somewhere that Anki was supposed to be able to import Mnemosyne files though, which should mean that it's convertable either way - perhaps just that no one has implemented it yet. I'm uploading my Kanji deck Apparently my deck is too big to be uploaded as an attachment, but if you send me your email then I'll send it that way (it's 2Mb as a zip) so that you'll have it at your disposal if you feel like having a go, maybe arono could upload his Mnemosyne deck to see if anything could be done