Active Topics

Hello community, I previously created a post about my N900 going from partially displaying the no Sim symbol to disabled telephony functions. After some suggestions, I took the phone apart and tried to bend the GSM antenna pins, which did not work. I know that taking it apart voided my warranty, so I didnt bother to try contacting Nokia. Instead, I BOUGHT A NEW N900. I have had the new one for a week, I updated to PR1.3 OTA, and I used the backup app to transfer everything from the old to the new phone. Last week I saw the "No Sim symbol " display, but the phone worked after I restarted it. Today it has been doing it on an "on and off" basis. Usually it just displays no signal at all, but sometimes it displays the No sim icon. If i wait a little bit, it magically gets back to normal. I am afraid these symptoms are similar to the previous phone, which is very worrying.

What I have tried (with the old phone):

Well first is first. I used to use an extended battery, and when I switched back to the OEM battery, it went for a good month with no issue, only to go back again to the same issue. (this makes me think that it is an external connectivity issue??)

Second: I tried flashing the device (using OEM) with multiple versions, it would flash fine, but the issue would not be resolved.

Third, I got a brand new SIM card.

Fourth: I reset ALL settings back to default.

What is left:
Is it the carrier (highly doubt it)? Is it a certain app that I installed (SD card)? (This would make sense because the apps I am using on the new phone are the same as the ones on the old phone, due to using Backup and Restore). Is it a Nokia hardware issue (And I am so unlucky to have received two bad ones??).

Any help is much appreciated, while we all work on this together to try to solve it.

Last edited by gomaemo; 2011-04-04 at 04:25.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Change sims?

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Change sims?
Thanks, but as I said "Third, I got a brand new SIM card. " I am sure it is not the actual SIM.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
clean the surface where SIM is inserted?
or maybe something is broken/loose inside the phone..
try putting some paper behind the SIM to get it wendged tightly on it's place.
drop the phone on the table from about 2inch height, that worked for me with my old phone im not encouraging to do this though.
if nothing works, you could flash the whole thing and not install the same apps with backupmanager.

Last edited by KetkuFIN; 2011-04-04 at 04:48. Reason: forgot something

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by gomaemo View Post
Hello community, I previously created a post about my N900 going from partially displaying the no Sim symbol to disabled telephony functions. After some suggestions, I took the phone apart and tried to bend the GSM antenna pins, which did not work. I know that taking it apart voided my warranty, so I didnt bother to try contacting Nokia. Instead, I BOUGHT A NEW N900. I have had the new one for a week, I updated to PR1.3 OTA, and I used the backup app to transfer everything from the old to the new phone. Last week I saw the "No Sim symbol " display, but the phone worked after I restarted it. Today it has been doing it on an "on and off" basis. Usually it just displays no signal at all, but sometimes it displays the No sim icon. If i wait a little bit, it magically gets back to normal. I am afraid these symptoms are similar to the previous phone, which is very worrying.

What I have tried (with the old phone):

Well first is first. I used to use an extended battery, and when I switched back to the OEM battery, it went for a good month with no issue, only to go back again to the same issue. (this makes me think that it is an external connectivity issue??)

Second: I tried flashing the device (using OEM) with multiple versions, it would flash fine, but the issue would not be resolved.

Third, I got a brand new SIM card.

Fourth: I reset ALL settings back to default.

What is left:
Is it the carrier (highly doubt it)? Is it a certain app that I installed (SD card)? (This would make sense because the apps I am using on the new phone are the same as the ones on the old phone, due to using Backup and Restore). Is it a Nokia hardware issue (And I am so unlucky to have received two bad ones??).

Any help is much appreciated, while we all work on this together to try to solve it.
I had exactly the same problem and tried re-flashing, cleaning the SIM card, the contacts, bending the pins, piece of paper/card behind SIM card, etc etc etc but none of them worked.

Eventually I returned it to Nokia "care", and after a couple of attempts to fix it (ie they ignored the problem description and simply flashed it and sent it back), they replaced my N900.

I had similar problems. Handed in phone to Nokia Care for warranty repair. First time they did nothing, second time they swapped it for a new n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I had exactly the same problem and tried re-flashing, cleaning the SIM card, the contacts, bending the pins, piece of paper/card behind SIM card, etc etc etc but none of them worked.

Eventually I returned it to Nokia "care", and after a couple of attempts to fix it (ie they ignored the problem description and simply flashed it and sent it back), they replaced my N900.
Thanks for this. So am I really that unlucky to have bought 2 phones with that same problem?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Czech Republic
I had this problem too. I put small piece of paper between SIM and battery. Problem disappeared.

Originally Posted by Figa View Post
I had this problem too. I put small piece of paper between SIM and battery. Problem disappeared.
I tried this, did not work.

I also want to mention that the phone doesn't read the IMEI number. So the issue could be revolved around that, because if the IMEI disappeared (for whatever strange reason), the phone would be acting the way it is. So the problem could me reading the IMEI as opposed to reading the SIM. Can anybody second that?