Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
some more teasers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmwFbE3dSM4
Ash had stated he was gonna do a hands on... Seeing that makes me all that much more angry since I'll not have one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Nokia are idiotic, just the same, not to even try to create a market for themselves despite the carrier locking. Samsung, for instance, came in late to the game and is doing an excellent job of covering the entire spectrum. Nokia is clearly a failure and an uncompetitive weakling.
All current Nokia smartphones (N8, E7, E6 etc.) support all GSM spectrums.

Or, do you mean technologies (CDMA vs. GSM)? Yes, Nokia's failing IMHO has been to ignore CDMA. However, there was a good reason for it, but it left the entire CDMA market open to Android (and Blackberry), until iPhone was made available on Verizon.

I really think Nokia made a mistake. In order to capture more market share in the U.S., the strategy should not have been to switch to an OS/ecosystem controlled completely by on U.S company, but rather to actually make devices for more than 50% (well, less I guess if you take it that until recently, most Nokia phones *didn't* support all GSM spectra, specifically AT&T) of the mobile phone market in the U.S.

But, some rumours seem to indicate that some of Nokia's first WP7 phones will be CDMA- or LTE-based, so maybe they are doing both.

But, if they won't have any CDMA-based phones, and no WP7 phones by Dec, while they have the N9 ready-to-ship, it makes no sense to just ignore the U.S. market for another 6 or so months.

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post
For information, the N9 is still listed in Switzerland on digitec.ch, and the price has dropped by 50CHF.
It's now 599CHF (~580€) for the 16GB version (Cyan, Magenta or Black) and 649CHF (~625€) for the 64GB version (Black only).

Announced availability is "Mid-September".
Are they carrier-free?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
Stop whining.
Don't be an insensitive ****. Let them share their feelings. Exorcise your hurt. Learn to let go. Stop the dependence on Nokia. Go out and get something else. ANYTHING else, at this point. :P

I've become more convinced that the MISTAKE is to buy an N9 hoping to prove Elop wrong. I'm far more convinced that not buying anything Nokia will prove him to be FAR, FAR more wrong and very much more likely to get booted out and someone else get in there to reverse these stupid mistakes. I'm just saying--if you're all "free-market", then vote with your dollars, dammit!

Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
Yesterday i wrote nokia a short letter with my concerns about the lack of the n9 for the US.
In short, i suggested that the n9 and windows nokia's can exist in the US market, subsidized windows for the masses, and the n9 for the loyalists. I expressed my discontent for how they are just about to alienate all their loyal users to bring in new ones. I understand business is business, but i see no reason the n9 and wp can't coexist here in the US. Seriously, how hard would it be to just let us buy it unlocked online?

Here was the response i got this morning.
"Hi Joe,

Thank you for emailing the Nokia Careline.

We appreciate your interest in our product.

In response to your concern, we would like to inform you that the release date of the Nokia N9 is yet to be determined. Also, we are unable to guarantee if the said device will be available for purchase in the United States. What we can suggest to you is to frequently visit our website as well as our discussion board for more information on this matter.

We are hoping for your patience and understanding on this matter."

A glimmer of hope that a US version may come?
Thank you for your interest in the brand new Nokia N9--now running Harmattan. Your brand loyalty is important to us. Please stay on the web page and a third-party advertiser will be in contact with you shortly about an upcoming Windows Phone 7 phone!

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Why not create a "nokia in US" thread so we can keep talking about n9 here.
Maybe because we can just talk here about how the N9 isn't coming to the US--AND A BUNCH OF OTHER COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD. Oh right, we already ARE.

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
I don't see why not if they changed their strategy. Elaborate further as to why this is an impossibility.
Why? Haven't you been paying attention to how AWESOME Windows Phone 7 has been selling? It's f***ing like HOTCAKES, Brah!! FAP FAP FAP... but it's clearly not selling.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I've become more convinced that the MISTAKE is to buy an N9 hoping to prove Elop wrong. I'm far more convinced that not buying anything Nokia will prove him to be FAR, FAR more wrong and very much more likely to get booted out and someone else get in there to reverse these stupid mistakes. I'm just saying--if you're all "free-market", then vote with your dollars, dammit!
I agree with this and think that it is extremely naive to think that you are somehow sticking it to The Man if you buy an N9. It's like a bee trying to sting an elephant. No effect whatsoever.

I will not be purchasing an N9, as the manufacturer has all but announced that the device is DOA. There is likely to be little or no software support, which is not a dealbreaker for me, but lack of hardware support most definitely is. I don't want to risk having to return an N9 to Nokia in a few months time, only to be offered an N8 or some Windoze crap as a 'suitable replacement'.

Nokia have sent a clear message to their potential N9 customers that they are of no value to them. Message received and understood.

My website

GitHub

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm far more convinced that not buying anything Nokia will prove him to be FAR, FAR more wrong and very much more likely to get booted out and someone else get in there to reverse these stupid mistakes. I'm just saying--if you're all "free-market", then vote with your dollars, dammit!
IMO if we take this approach, it will almost certainly spell Nokia's death LT.
And no possibility whatsoever of a return to a Linux-based OS in the future

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-11 at 10:22.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't want to risk having to return an N9 to Nokia in a few months time, only to be offered an N8 or some Windoze crap as a 'suitable replacement'.
But under typical warranty terms (2yrs in UK/EU right?), there's no way they can do that is there?
Unless they re-jig the warranty for the N9 "gets eyeglass ready for some fine-print reading".

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
More happy thoughts... think more happy thoughts...
http://mynokiablog.com/2011/08/11/ov...an-nokia-n950/

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
More happy thoughts... think more happy thoughts...
http://mynokiablog.com/2011/08/11/ov...an-nokia-n950/
Gym Workout Tracker sounds good, made my own for N800 long ago, but lately been using iFitness on Android and been wondering what to do with N9. Isn't there also some sports tracker with gps for Nokia?
Then all I'll need is Adobe Digital Editions and perhaps Kindle and I'll be fine. Nokia you can go ahead and release N9 now, I'm ready to buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to PortaDiFerro For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????