Notices

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Hello and welcome to Friendly FM

What is it?

Friendly FM is a widget that allows to switch the FM transmitter of the N900 on or off. It can also be used to quickly change the current frequency of the transmitter and to switch the Bluetooth radio. (Bluetooth is switched by clicking on the Bluetooth icon.)

How does it differ from other widgets with the same functionality?

Friendly FM uses the background graphics for the media player widget from the current theme for itself. Thus not locking like an 'alien' widget on the desktop but rather being friendly and looking like a native widget.

Friendly FM is no replacement for programs like FM Radio.

Huh? Show me a screenshot!

That's cool, where can I get it?

From extras-devel or Maemo package interface.

I don't like the icons. Can I change them?

Friendly FM loads its icons from

Code:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps (ffm_inc.png ffm_dec.png)
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/40x40/apps (ffm_on.png ffm_off.png)
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps (ffm_bt_on.png ffm_bt.png ffm_tm_on.png ffm_tm.png)
Transmitter and bluetooth icon were taken from Faenza icon theme.

What about support for FM Boost?

I am not using FM Boost myself but instead use a patched version of fmtxd which can be found here. This patched version allows a wider range of frequencies and automatically boosts the power to 120.

I will anyway see if I can integrate FM Boost into FFM.

That's all? I want more features!

If my rare spare time allows it I will work on
  • FM Boost integration (available since 0.2.1 in widget settings)
  • Presets for frequencies (available since 0.2.2, use transmitter icon to toggle presets)
  • RDS features
  • Connect to a certain bluetooth device when activated (for example to my headset!)

You suck!

Yeah, I know.

Last edited by percy; 2011-04-04 at 14:32. Reason: update to 0.2.2

The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
9000, aanckar, alexff, aligatro, arnoldux, Blaizzen, bobbydoedoe, br1zer, Bratag, cfh11, Chrome, cjp, clasificado, d-iivil, D4rKlar, DaReaper, datjomp, deegore, ejasmudar, elie-7, Erazor, ersanpermana, Estel, et3rnal, excelar8, festivalnut, freemangordon, Hallforce, hawaii, Honza., Hootenholler, HtheB, ioan, ivyking, joppu, kamil365, klinglerware, leetnoob, lolloo, MaddogG, maemo55, Maharadja, Maj3stic, manavs, Marklar, mehulrajput, MetalGearSolid, MetalSer, MINKIN2, mivoligo, mmlado, MohammadAG, mrsellout, MyNokiaN900, n900 lover, N9owner, Natan_xy, neboja, nick.read, NokTokDaddy, NOMIOMI, OVK, P@t, pavlik, philh, rabarkar, raily, Reffyyyy, rooster13, rotoflex, SavageD, shanttu, shazosbourne, spanner, Straycat, Switch_, te37v, TeHeR, Tiboric, tokag, travla, trlopes1974, vkv.raju, Vlad_on_the_road, x61, XxJacobxX, Zibeb
Well - I love the look. I love the fact that the buttons are easy to press. I like that bluetooth is integrated. Only one downside. The fm transmitter doesnt turn on when I hit the "power" button. All other buttons seem to work fine.

Syslog reveals

Code:
Mar  3 12:00:35 Nokia-N900 fmtxd[6813]: GLIB WARNING ** default - No marshaller for signature of signal 'Condition'
Mar  3 12:00:35 Nokia-N900 fmtxd[6813]: GLIB WARNING ** GLib - GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory. This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set. The overwriting error message was: Failed to change fmtx state
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
great! smart work

The design of this widget is brilliant. All applications and widgets need to do this.

You sir, are my hero of the day.

Kudos on using the Faenza icons as well. They are zee bezt.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-03-03 at 17:04.

This work without the fm app installed?

I mean, if works as fm radio or just transmitter?

Grettings.

Last edited by s4br0s0; 2011-03-03 at 17:24.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
if you integrate the fm-boost script, like simple-fmtx-widget did, then you will get a happy user ;-)

It would seem the BT toggle isn't working for me.

I second, integrating the power adjustment would be a good idea as well.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I will definitely use this as soon as it has the power boost integrated! Good work.

Also, out of interest, which are the themes on the top row left hand side, and bottom row middle?

Last edited by Hootenholler; 2011-03-03 at 18:05.

Works and looks great. Frequency buttons are much more sensitive then FM RDS Notify- very good. Beside boost script integration, what about presets, to quickly jump between two stored frequencies?

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well - I love the look. I love the fact that the buttons are easy to press. I like that bluetooth is integrated. Only one downside. The fm transmitter doesnt turn on when I hit the "power" button. All other buttons seem to work fine.
Hmm, could it be that you are in offline mode?

Tags
friendly fm