Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
I'm planning on buying more NAS for media storage. Does anybody know whether there are any canola/mediastreamer compatible NAS disks with UPNP, e.x Lacie ethetnet disk mini II 250 GB. I now have an NSLU2 with 250GB Lacie disk, full (Dbox difi tv recordings)

well the NSLU2 supports upnp, so I'm not sure I'm following your question. I will say that I've unslung my NSLU2 and installed Twonkyvision on it an used mediastreamer to control my Roku M500 streaming from NSLU2.

my point is that lacie ethernet disk I mentioned has a built in DLNA meda server. Works with canola/mediastreamer?

I have a Synology DS-101, which comes with UPnP support in its firmware; it works with Canola and Media Streamer, but it's not feature rich; so, I disabled the firmware's UPnP support (can be done through it's management GUI) and installed Twonky.
So, it's not only about UPnP support, but more importantly the features that are offered.

Originally Posted by mrp View Post
my point is that lacie ethernet disk I mentioned has a built in DLNA meda server. Works with canola/mediastreamer?
Well if you have an NSLU2, twonkyvision is cheap...$20 I think and you can easily add more disk drives to it. I'm not familiar with the Lacie Ethernet disk, but it seems like you buying additional equipment IMHO. Then again you do need to UNSLUG you NSLU2 which might be something you're not interested in doing.

Originally Posted by iFrank View Post
So, it's not only about UPnP support, but more importantly the features that are offered.
NSLU2 has some kind of pnp support too, don't know what that means, but there is no A/V media server, for lacie it is mentioned, I jus do not know whether it works with 770 clients, just was asking if anybody had had any experience.

BTW my NSLU2 is a Slug (6.8). For some reasons Twonky (still demo version) has not been working too well for me, keeps "disappearing, I've had it installed for about two weeks now. I'm now testing Ushare 0.9.8.2, which seems to be working reasonably well. Something stops canola during audio streaming, but video works great.

bac522, you are propably right as I still have one spare usb-port left for another disk on NSLU2 (little piece of wonder everybody should have. Thanks for your comments

Last edited by mrp; 2007-02-13 at 06:35. Reason: typos

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by iFrank View Post
I have a Synology DS-101, which comes with UPnP support in its firmware; ..., but it's not feature rich; ...
I just tried with my Synology DS-101j, and it works "out of the box", which tend to be a + form some people

What do you mean by "not feature rich"? Transcoding of video?

Rheve / iFrank, I'm interested in the fact that you have your ds101j working correctly with Canola. For me it works fine with MediaStreamer, but not Canola. I'm using beta synology firmware 424 .... How about you?

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Oups, confusion here. I'm not using Canola but MediaStreamer.
I have just flashed my DS101j with v2.0.3 - 0428; Date: 2007/01/29.
(http://www.synology.com/enu/support/download.php#101j)