Active Topics

I've been trying to get Orb working since day one on my 770 --- I was a REALLY early adopter.

I've never been able to get it to work right, even through all the tricks, replacement devices, and so forth.

RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, works perfectly on 2008, even over bluetooth dialup.

Youtube also works at full speed even while downloading...I swear, it's almost as good as getting the N810 early!

Thanks Nokia

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Alex, try m.youtube.com. It works, works through media player and is even smoother.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
Hmmmm got sucked in so sucking it down. Bugger there goes the evening methinks

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Alex, try m.youtube.com. It works, works through media player and is even smoother.
m.youtube.com doesn't have Dr. Tran =/

Do you have to actually download and convert youtube videos to view on an IT through Orb or can you just stream them from the link that OrbThis copies? I've been trying forever to watch youtube videos through orb but I keep getting an error saying that I need an FLV codec on my home PC. The thing is, I should have them. I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack. It streams other video formats fine. Any solution? Thanks

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
While we're waiting for a Sling client for the Internet Tablets, Orb is indeed a whole 'gasm all by itself. I somehow fouled up my CODECs irreparably on my Vista media center so can't do recorded TV or some kinds of MPEG, but overall it's great.

Is a Sling client possible for the IT? That would be a killer app...I enjoy it on my phone, but the N800's screen would make it a truly beautiful experience. Orb is okay, but live TV in real-time would be incredible.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
While we're waiting for a Sling client for the Internet Tablets, Orb is indeed a whole 'gasm all by itself. I somehow fouled up my CODECs irreparably on my Vista media center so can't do recorded TV or some kinds of MPEG, but overall it's great.
Maybe that's my problem too. I'm running Vista 64-bit.

I tried Orb a few months ago and had limited success with it. Now, two things have changed. I got a new quad core computer (which is the Orb server) and OS2008.

It's unbelievable! I can walk around the house watching cable tv on my n800 and it is very decent quality. BTW, I never changed or tweaked any settings. I noticed the "Games" icon before, but since I don't have any games on my desktop, I never checked it til now. Orb has games for you...and they're not bad!

I am anxious to go try video through the internet as I am obviously using my home wireless network now, but so far I am very impressed.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by brandonros View Post
Maybe that's my problem too. I'm running Vista 64-bit.
I also had the same problem. I simply gave up on ORB and uninstalled it. My codecs are still messed up tho. I will likely have to do some sort of system restore to get things back the way they used to be. Unless someone here knows differently? I was also an early adopter (on N800) and would love to see this work.

In the same vein, has anyone managed to use WebBot successfully? I was able to install it and it works pretty well, but it fails to 'see' several of the picture folders. Actually, it finds the folder, but says it's empty when it is not. I thought it was a sharing issue, but can't find a difference between the folders it 'sees' and those that it does not. I'm thinking this is because it is a 'beta' release, but then again, maybe it is me. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Greyghost; 2007-12-31 at 15:26.