Notices

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ SAN PEDRO LAGUNA, PHILIPPINES
Guys pls help me my N900 device memory is corrupted after i connect it to PC. The N900 got a virus w/c make my folder become a shortcut only and after i unplug if the memory is corrupted. No matter how i restore the original setting of my N900 nothing happens. Pls i need an urgent reply on this matter what should I do?? Will my files can be retreived??

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try to install rootsh first. You need it to apply the following commands through X-Terminal application:
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
There might be an error here if the partition is not mounted, but you might just carry on.
Code:
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
If more errors occur, please, feel free to post here.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ SAN PEDRO LAGUNA, PHILIPPINES
It said "input/output error" and before that "FAT32 root dir starts with a bad cluster"

and also there are differences between boot sector and its backup.
cluster 2 and 5 out of range.

Please try
Code:
sudo gainroot
fsck -r /dev/mmcblk0p1
Copy and paste the complete output of the errors here.

Or if copy and paste is not possible redirect the output to a file and attach the file here
Code:
fsck -r /dev/mmcblk0p1 > fsck.txt
This command does not give any output, but creates the file /home/user/fsck.txt, where the error messages are written to.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2012-08-15 at 08:32. Reason: Personal Note: I will be away for a couple of hours. Please bare with me. I hope someone chips in.

It displayed "FAT32 root dir starts with a bad cluster"..I follow your command at first theres no umount because invalid argument then try to mount and then displayed the errors cluster 2 and 5.

Then type the "fsck -r /dev/mmcblk0p1 > fsck.txt no need to type the first command right?? and then nothing happens the same FAT error. Sorry im noob in x-term programming..

Ms. Michaaa62 right correct me if im not mistaken?? Theres a 50/50 chance that i should format this or clear device option if didn't solve in x-term (hope not =( because i have so many important files)?? Because i can't access the memory device when i connect it to usb or nokia pc mode..This site is my only hope because N900 in the philippines are all phase-out and there are few people whom i can rely on..=(

Has been a long day for me , sorry.

Safety first: If you have a linux pc available you could make a clone copy of the device via dd command. This would clone the whole partition to have a backup in the case something goes wrong

You could try to write the backup of the first sector (bootblock) to the partition
Code:
sudo gainroot
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=512 count=1 skip=6
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
If no errors occur, reboot to check if your files are still intact.

You could install recovery-tools package and have testdisk try to read the partition, and hence recover the files to some external microSD. Here is a short walk-through for testdisk http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=16 , but this might be a time consuming procedure, if testdisk finds your files and folders.

Good luck!

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by epoch_coda31 View Post
It displayed "FAT32 root dir starts with a bad cluster"..I follow your command at first theres no umount because invalid argument then try to mount and then displayed the errors cluster 2 and 5.
It's more helpful if you paste the *exact* commands and *exact* output here instead of describing it with words - avoids misinterpretations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
This is the actual argument displayed after typing the commands:

"$sudo gain root
root shell enabled

/home/user # umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
umount: cannot umount /dev/mmcblk0p1: Invalid argument

/home/user # fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1

fsck 1.41.3.maemo0 (12-Oct-2008)
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
65:01/00
Copying backup to original
Cluster 2 out of range (33554432 > 442378). Setting to EOF.
Cluster 5 out of range (251658240 > 442378). Setting to EOF.
/
Contains a free cluster (2). Assuming EOF.
FAT32 root dir starts with a bad cluster!

/home/user # mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
mount: mounting / /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs failed:
Input/output error"

The internal device memory was really corrupted i can't be able to access either usb mode or pc suite mode the memory and i can't save a note or take a picture because the memory is not present and can't access.