Notices

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
What a pity! For a "mobile computer" the user should have the possibility to see and edit everything he wants (maybe not as default but optional in a menu).
The USER can do anything he wants if he learns how to do it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
The idea is to use the MyDocs for things like extracting etc. and leave the hidden-area '/', '/home/user' for system files.

That being said, unfortunately, there isn't a way to extend the unwieldy default File-Manager.
This is what really bothers me about these enlightened decisions made by people trying to "protect" dumb users.

Since when are "things like extracting" docs? I mean, shouldn't "MyDocs" be for docs, or would that be too sane?

The point is, these directories are set up in a non-intuitive way. To claim that this is an effort to be nice to dumb users is to say it's kind to give out free lobotomies.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is what really bothers me about these enlightened decisions made by people trying to "protect" dumb users.

Since when are "things like extracting" docs? I mean, shouldn't "MyDocs" be for docs, or would that be too sane?

The point is, these directories are set up in a non-intuitive way. To claim that this is an effort to be nice to dumb users is to say it's kind to give out free lobotomies.
I disagree. Look at how many people hose their computers. This IS a phone no matter what anybody says. It needs to work. The support for an easily fracked system would be a nightmare. Also the easier the system is to hose, the more damage to the Vendors reputation he is at risk for, undeservedly. This is a pretty much open system.
Every tool is there for you to burn down your N900. Hopefully by the time you get the tools and figure them out, you will be safer after having "Learned" a few things along the way.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
who knows, Windows may have been the inspiration. My Documents -> My Pictures, My Music.

btw, talking about unintuitiveness, there is a .documents folder within MyDocs. The File Manager in general is dumbed down. If the user never looked outside it, he/she would never know of the existence of 'MyDocs'.