Posts: 160 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Greece-Athens
I made a mistake with a config file of hildon, and now it cannot load properly. Now it' s unusable. I don't want to reflash because i have "forgotten" an important file in the flash memory...
Is there any way to access the flash memory and correct the config file?
I have the bootmenu with telnet support. Can this help? How can i use it? I had tried with usb and putty, but i didn't know the ip of usb.

PLEASE help me!

Last edited by gerstavros; 2009-06-14 at 14:41.

If you have the boot menu installed, does that mean you're dual-booting?
If so you can boot up in whichever one you haven't messed up, mount the other one and modify the file.
I believe the usb IP is generally set to 192.168.1.15 - but I might be mixed up.
Let us know what you try and hopefully we can offer further advice.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by gerstavros View Post
I made a mistake with a config file of hildon, and now it cannot load properly. Now it' s unusable. I don't want to reflash because i have "forgotten" an important file in the flash memory...
Is there any way to access the flash memory and correct the config file?
I have the bootmenu with telnet support. Can this help? How can i use it? I had tried with usb and putty, but i didn't know the ip of usb {}.

PLEASE help me!
I presume you're using Windows due to the PuTTY reference? (Yes, I am aware it exists for Linux but it sucks IMHO for Linux - much prefer 'ssh' and gvfs' SFTP functionality under Linux, but anyway...)

I assume you're using Windows (XP), so:

1) Flash this kernel (http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...ndows_v0.4.zip) (it's an officially released image from Nokia, don't worry) as it has a fix for USB Networking under Windows
* I did this with Ubuntu running under VMWare Workstation running on XP. Worked a treat.

2) Start up USB Networking from the bootmenu. When/If asked to install drivers, point Windows' "Add New Hardware Wizard" to inf in zip.

3) Open "Network Connections" and find the "Local Area Connection" for your tablet. Configure like this:
* Make the IP address one digit less than what is reported on the tablet (so if tablet says "192.168.2.15", put IP of "192.168.2.14") in that field.
* Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
* Default gateway: IP that is on tablet's screen.
Leave DNS server addresses blank.
N.B: As you may have guessed, I'm not up on networking so...

4) Telnet into tablet (telnet (tablet IP))
5) mkdir /tmp/root/
6) mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /tmp/root/
7) cd /tmp/root/, edit file, profit!

Be quick, BTW. Tablet will reboot after ~10 mins unless you enable RD-Mode or run /usr/sbin/dsmetool --root-mounted

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-06-13 at 19:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
No, i 'm using linux. I tried also with telnet on konsole. Note also that i hadn't enable ssh.
I read that i need to have the dev rootfs to have udb-networking, so i reflashed (as i thought i din't have any chance...). (If that's wrong, how can i do it on linux?) Now i 'm looking how to be able to make backup of an existing rootfs and initfs. I found that with
Code:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtd4
./mkfs.jffs2 -r /opt -o /media/mmc1/rootfs.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
umount /opt
I can make my rootfs and save it on /opt, is that true? For initfs? Then i can copy it to my computer and flash it with ./flasher-3.0.amd64 -r myrootfs.jffs2 ??

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by gerstavros View Post
No, i 'm using linux. I tried also with telnet on konsole. Note also that i hadn't enable ssh.
I read that i need to have the dev rootfs to have udb-networking, so i reflashed (as i thought i din't have any chance...). (If that's wrong, how can i do it on linux?) Now i 'm looking how to be able to make backup of an existing rootfs and initfs. I found that with
Code:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtd4
./mkfs.jffs2 -r /opt -o /media/mmc1/rootfs.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
umount /opt
I can make my rootfs and save it on /opt, is that true? For initfs? Then i can copy it to my computer and flash it with ./flasher-3.0.amd64 -r myrootfs.jffs2 ??
For Linux, there's steps here: http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking

Yes, those steps will allow you to make a flashable rootfs but those steps assume you're booted into another system -- not initfs. (It can be done via initfs but you'll need SSH)

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
For Linux, there's steps here: http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking

Yes, those steps will allow you to make a flashable rootfs but those steps assume you're booted into another system -- not initfs. (It can be done via initfs but you'll need SSH)
What do you mean?

Can i mount the system's memory from mer or deblet or another maemo in the memory card? like codeMonkey says n the second post.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerstavros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Can someone explain this?

Can i mount the system's memory (that one compressed with jffs2) from mer or deblet or another maemo in the memory card? like codeMonkey says n the second post.

Tags
backup, initfs, recovery, rootfs, usb-networking