Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
You're absolutely right, no electronics hardware company can possibly sell their hardware at a higher price than the competition and survive. People will always buy the cheapest hardware available, because there's no other difference between the devices that hardware companies make other than the hardware itself. Gosh, I can't believe Jolla really considers itself a proper mobile device manufacturing company.

You should check the fruit company then And yes, the hardware is not making the difference - the OS is...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
After Jolla I went back to N9. I have tried Nexus 4, BB Z10, Lumia 820, now I got myself BB Q10 and it's quite good. I'm gonna stick with it till a good Sailfish replacement is available.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Same here. I would like to see it as 80 Euro Sailfish OS + 170 Euro Jolla hardware.

Good software does not need to be given for free (even if it were open source)
The Problem is that the Hardware is nowadays worth around 70€.So 150€ would be an acceptable price for a two year old phone.

Nevertheless, looking forward on the Ubuntu Phone and the Jolla Tablet.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I see a big chunk of the 250€ pricetag to be a support in Software development!
me too. only for me the 250 euros was spent on the tablet, which i consider to be worth the investment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You should check the fruit company then And yes, the hardware is not making the difference - the OS is...
happy to agree, which is why I am here.

but that does little to change the value proposition of the jolla phone selling at that price at the end of 2015.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
No need to take my special usecase to scale on general longlivity of jolla.
I did not specify who your use case reflects on It could be the manufacturer or the user. We have a saying, "look after your things and they will look after you." Of course, working in a tough environment does not help. My ex-gf was a potter; you can imagine how her phones looked after a few calls with her hands covered in clay.

FWIW, my own Jolla from Dec 2013 still looks like new, bar one dent. I am the second owner. The first owner was a First One.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I did not specify who your use case reflects on
And to further elaborate to clear my previous statement up. Also my Jolla would have met the inevitable fate of its n900 predecessors for sure if not my wife was a quicker thinker than me and rewarded me with a plantronics legend headset last christmas
Her 08/14 jolla is also in mint condition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
how you guys convinced your wife to jolla? usually,but not mandatory, girls are less interested in tech and dont care about open source or oses

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
how you guys convinced your wife to jolla? usually,but not mandatory, girls are less interested in tech and dont care about open source or oses
How? I'll speak just for myself and my convincing, but pretty much no convincing is necessary - SailfishOS that comes on current Jolla phones is easy to use, intuitive and can run Android apps, so no disadvantages over mainstream phones, just advantages. So the convincing was pretty easy - "try my Jolla and see if you like it" Of course TOH and Ambiance features were the main selling points

The only difference is that less tech-focused people will likely not complain about shortcomings of SailfishOS that are usually discussed on this forum (CalDAV, SIP, FLOSS).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
To me it is proof that Sailfish is totally "sufficiant" for daily use.
If you are not pre-influenced by A:"SpecMania", B:"Earlier Usage Paradigms" and C:"iOS & Android Fanboyism" that is.
She was a total smartphone noob and just used mobiles for banking TANs and calling. Now she is using more online services than ever and even tweets.
I just set her up all email and social media and she never complained about a thing but is bragging among her girls with a unique phone experience with nice lastu candy
Ok, i can see that being turned into "my wife is not very demanding when it comes to functionality, so a jolla is sufficiant", but maybe those functions are simply not "that" necessary to common people.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone